Triton Spellbind shower tripping RCD

333rocky333 said:
You still have me baffled. Is this batch of bad grammar and abbreviated words supposed to mean something?

Well, I didn't use any abbreviated words and I take a lot of care with my grammar, for the sake of clarity if nothing else. I only meant that just because the macro photo of the DP switch appeared to have fatter wires than the further-away shot of the shower, it didn't mean they were different sizes.

As I said, I didn't mean to offend you, it was just a light-hearted aside based on the *classic* Father Ted quote: "This cow is small, those ones are far away".

I hadn't appreciated the nature of the exposed copper at the shower. It may be that the wires are in fact different. I'm confused as to why even the incompetent that installed the shower would switch between 6mm² and smaller cable behind the tiles. To join them would require the tiles to be off, so why do it?

Softus said:
It hardly even matters whether or not the cable behind the wall is 2.5mm² - it has to be replaced anyway.

Indeed. However, if there's a change in cable between the 14mm wide that disappears under the bath and what you believe to be something else at the shower terminals, it's unlikely that it could just be pulled out with attached 10mm² following. The need for rewiring is not in doubt at this point, it's the mechanics of it.

Sponsored Links
333rocky333 said:
You still have me baffled. Is this batch of bad grammar and abbreviated words supposed to mean something?
Er, that was me actually.

I only meant that just because the macro photo of the DP switch appeared to have fatter wires than the further-away shot of the shower, it didn't mean they were different sizes.
I see. Speaking only for myself, I wasn't comparing the inside-the-shower wires with the behind-the-switch wires, but the incoming conductors at the shower with the internal wiring, which is either 6mm² or 10mm², and noting that the conductors were solid and not stranded, and noting that the CPC looked particularly puny.

As I said, I didn't mean to offend you, it was just a light-hearted aside based on the *classic* Father Ted quote: "This cow is small, those ones are far away".
Ah - now I get it. Sorry for being tick. You whell, you whell, you whell, etc..

I hadn't appreciated the nature of the exposed copper at the shower. It may be that the wires are in fact different. I'm confused as to why even the incompetent that installed the shower would switch between 6mm² and smaller cable behind the tiles. To join them would require the tiles to be off, so why do it?
I'm long past the point of wondering why some people do apparently stupid things - they just do them. And I just fix them.

The need for rewiring is not in doubt at this point, it's the mechanics of it.
Fair point, well made. IMHO the tiles have to go. This is the main problem with DIY - you spend a long time trying to avoid the inevitable.

It is possible he pulled in the cable or reused an existing cable,then either deciding to then relocate the shower slightly higher , or realising it to be too short, decided to join with a peice , of other cable he had knocking about.
Maybe thinking because it was a short bit he would be ok using what he had.

Maybe the water has now got to it somehow via the grout, or the joint has failed hence it was worse when the shower was used a lot.

It seems now you know what is involved, could you when you have time
PLEASE clarify whether the switch output wire IS different to the shower wire
6mm will be stranded aprox 5 strands maybe with a 2.5 solid earth
2.5 will most likely be single solid with 1.5 solid earth
This will be easy to spot
If only for the sake of the forum please

Can you still get the tiles, is carefully cutting a row of them out an option,
Is it worth removing the shower and seing if there may luckily be a pipe.

You may even find the joint behind the base when removed.

333rocky333 said:

I did not say that

I have seen the program
And new what you meant by saying it

I went more by what you said or thought elsewhere
Anyway does not matter

I am sure we would all be interested on the final outcome of this one
so please return

Sponsored Links
333rocky333 said:

That statement was not said by me

Is that any better BAS

The problem is, though, that this really was your post - I've not doctored it at all:

333pq5.jpg

The problem is, though, that this really was your post - I've not doctored it at all:

[img]< an image >[/img]
But if you weren't ignoring perfectly valid posts, then you'd completely understand what had happened and wouldn't be wasting people's time explaining things to you that everyone else can see for themselves.

:rolleyes:

Well the OP did post a subsequent pic of 6mm going from under the bath to that shower - you are assuming the join is after this?
I'm not assuming anything. I don't do assumptions.

How do you know it is bare discoloured copper?
By pointing my eyes at the picture and processing the information with my brain.,
No need to be so sarcastic is there?

The pic isn't that conclusive.
Really? So you don't conclude that the cable that looks like pre-harmonised solid core 2.5mm² with bare CPC that is joined directly to the shower earth post is, in fact, pre-harmonised solid core 2.5mm² with bare CPC?.

How many cables have you seen in this country that look like the one in the picture and have a CPC insulated with PVC the colour of tarnished copper?

Who knows what kind of wiring the tin pot installer did? - if there is a join behind the tiles with a JB, why wouldn't he have used some brown insulating wire as the CPC rather than bare copper and sheath it? We don't even know if it's double insulated T&E as you can't see the exterior PVC going into the shower. I've learnt not to make assumptions...:cool:

CB1980 - Why don't you invest some time trying to find out if/where the join is like 333Rocky suggested? If you really don't want to rip the tiles off you might be able to get some modern looking trunking that won't be too hideous. Try this web site: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/D-Line/Dline_30_15_Alumin/ You'd have to check with them to make sure you can use it in a bathroom though.

cheers
Grant

I said:
So you don't conclude that the cable that looks like pre-harmonised solid core 2.5mm² with bare CPC that is joined directly to the shower earth post is, in fact, pre-harmonised solid core 2.5mm² with bare CPC?

I said:
How many cables have you seen in this country that look like the one in the picture and have a CPC insulated with PVC the colour of tarnished copper?
if there is a join behind the tiles with a JB, why wouldn't he have used some brown insulating wire as the CPC rather than bare copper and sheath it?
Because he used cable with a bare copper CPC and didn't sheath it. :rolleyes:

CB1980 - Why don't you invest some time trying to find out if/where the join is like 333Rocky suggested?
What's the bleeding point of that "investment"? It won't yield any return. Even if weren't a join the cable would have to replaced.

If you really don't want to rip the tiles off you might be able to get some modern looking trunking that won't be too hideous.
Trunking that doesn't look hideous? You've got to be kidding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back