Triton Spellbind shower tripping RCD

Has anyone else noticed the CPC from the DP switch is green/yellow sheathed copper, yet at the shower it is a thin brown insulated cable?.. perchance there is a join?

Is that not just bare discoloured copper with no earth sleeving

Possibly 6mm/ 2.5 joint behind the tiles

I see what you mean, but if you zoom in close, the thickness appears to change close to the terminal.
CB - can you tell us if the thin incoming wire is indeed unsleeved copper or does it have brown insulation?

Sponsored Links
Has anyone else noticed the CPC from the DP switch is green/yellow sheathed copper, yet at the shower it is a thin brown insulated cable?
No it isn't.

Is that not just bare discoloured copper with no earth sleeving
Correct.

perchance there is a join?
Possibly 6mm/ 2.5 joint behind the tiles
Of course there's a join - it's clearly not 6mm cable coming into the shower unit. I thought that had already been established. :confused:

Of course there's a join - it's clearly not 6mm cable coming into the shower unit. I thought that had already been established. :confused:

Well the OP did post a subsequent pic of 6mm going from under the bath to that shower - you are assuming the join is after this?

How do you know it is bare discoloured copper? The pic isn't that conclusive.

Well the OP did post a subsequent pic of 6mm going from under the bath to that shower - you are assuming the join is after this?
I'm not assuming anything. I don't do assumptions.

How do you know it is bare discoloured copper?
By pointing my eyes at the picture and processing the information with my brain.

The pic isn't that conclusive.
Really? So you don't conclude that the cable that looks like pre-harmonised solid core 2.5mm² with bare CPC that is joined directly to the shower earth post is, in fact, pre-harmonised solid core 2.5mm² with bare CPC?

How many cables have you seen in this country that look like the one in the picture and have a CPC insulated with PVC the colour of tarnished copper?

Sponsored Links
I thought that had already been established. :confused:

Father ted did not agree though
I even quoted that you also observed it

I am having trouble keeping up
When was it established as a join, sorry I must have missed that bit.
Up until the recent pic of the switch and under bath, the cable change may have been in the switch , rather than a join.

Father ted did not agree though
I even quoted that you also observed it
WTF? Father Ted? I have not the first idea what you're talking about here. :rolleyes:

I am having trouble keeping up
When was it established as a join, sorry I must have missed that bit.
There was no "bit" to miss. The conclusion is embodied in the following set of questions and answers:

Q: Is 6mm² cable evident on the load side of the DP switch?
A: Probably.

Q: Is 6mm² cable evident at the shower terminals?
A: No.

Q: Is there any evidence that an uninterrupted run of 6mm² cable has been used between the DP switch and the shower?
A: No.

If you see a dead badger with flies around it, does someone have to declare to you that's dead before you consider its demise to have been "established"?

Up until the recent pic of the switch and under bath, the cable change may have been in the switch , rather than a join.
So, you seem to be agreeing that the gauge reduction isn't in the switch. I'd love to know where you think it could possibly be.

333rocky333 said:
Forgot
Do they look the same as IN the shower terminal
From the pic it looks smaller in the shower

Father Ted said:
These wires are small... those wires are far away.

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

I'm really grateful for your help.

I *think* they're the same size, but I don't have time to unscrew the shower cover again tonight to check.

softus
I was not being offensive
I was agreeing with you

Even the op *thinks* they are the same
Others also said it was 6mm
I like yourself thought 2.5 instantly
Until the ops reply above

My post was just after the first and only picture of the switch load wires.
I was pointing out to the op it looked bigger under the bath than at the shower unit
And if it was it proved the location of a join
The size in the shower has still not been confirmed or denied
Only by the above statements by the op

Up untill then no one knew the conductor size in the switch looked like 6mm,
hence it could have been 2.5 from the switch to the shower and no join

Forgot
Do they look the same as IN the shower terminal
From the pic it looks smaller in the shower

Father Ted said:

You still have me baffled. Is this batch of bad grammar and abbreviated words supposed to mean something?

I *think* they're the same size, but I don't have time to unscrew the shower cover again tonight to check.
softus
I was not being offensive
I was agreeing with you

Even the op *thinks* they are the same
Others also said it was 6mm
Lots of people think lots of things. They can't all be right.

I like yourself thought 2.5 instantly
Until the ops reply above

My post was just after the first and only picture of the switch load wires.
I was pointing out to the op it looked bigger under the bath than at the shower unit
And if it was it proved the location of a join
The size in the shower has still not been confirmed or denied
Only by the above statements by the op
What can I say? Nothing that anybody has written, or thought, or not written, or not thought, changes the fact that cable in the photo appears to be solid core 2.5mm².

Up untill then no one knew the conductor size in the switch looked like 6mm,
hence it could have been 2.5 from the switch to the shower and no join
Frankly, I don't care what might have been the case before the DP switch photo was posted, because it has been posted. Needing to know what was connected to the switch was the reason I asked to be shown what was connected to the switch.

I suspect you'll be tempted to post yet more words about what we knew, or didn't know, before seeing behind the switch. Please don't. It's not relevant. It hardly even matters whether or not the cable behind the wall is 2.5mm² - it has to be replaced anyway.

If you see a dead badger with flies around it, does someone have to declare to you that's dead before you consider its demise to have been "established"?

So, you seem to be agreeing that the gauge reduction isn't in the switch. I'd love to know where you think it could possibly be.
Possibly the same as your thinking , behind the tiles,
Although you possibly thought it no one had mentioned ,to the op a possibility of a cable join failing, in the tiled wall, exposed to water, causing the original rcd tripping problem.

Although I agree you did try to establish a possible join earlier on between cu and switch.
At first nothing came back to assist that

thanks

I know I haven't been summoned yet, but I'm sure it will happen soon.

Father Ted said:

You still have me baffled. Is this batch of bad grammar and abbreviated words supposed to mean something?

Not my words :!:
That Reply was to my serious question

Softus
sorry if I have offended you somehow
I do have respect for your replys as I do for most others
I will say no more

Offence neither meant nor taken.

Have a bonzer Easter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back