Triton Shower Earth Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old Triton shower stopped working so went to screwfix and bought a new one. Fitted it following instructions to the letter but this one doesn't work either... Phoned Triton and they immediately asked if the power light goes off when I turn it on, and it does. They said it might be an earth problem. I don't like working with electrics (Old tenement house in Scotland, v old electrics) time for an electrician?

Sponsored Links
Yep, you're probably right... texting spark mate right now...

Hang on...the neon is lit up... does the neon on the switch light up too? And do either of them go out when you turn the shower on?

If not, could it be a plumbing issue?

Sponsored Links
As it's new you would hope the solenoid was okay, but as the other shower failed, but seems that you do have power to the unit, it could as suggested be a water supply issue, could be isolated, blocked or flow/pressure issues.

Pretty sure it's not the water supply. The pressure is really high here in Glasgow (not sure if it's because we get so much rain falling on us) The isolation valve is at full lock. I'll isolate the unit from mains supply and double check. I still think it's the shower pull cord, but that doesn't explain the neon on the shower being lit. Triton maintenance said it's worth checking the earth but I don't know how and I'm not about to mess with 45amp anything...

If you rule out water pressure, check operating instructions that came with shower(fault finding).
Looking at triton info, shower min 1bar max 10bar.
Check for continuity across thermal cutout (with power off) its on top of the water tank.

Neons only need the tiniest amount of power to light them. When you switch the shower on, the element dumps a huge load onto the circuit, but as you have a high resistance connection somewhere on your circuit, the element can not be powered. Having the element across the incommer means the PD that was powering the neon disappears.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back