Triton Jade II - now it works - now it doesnt.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie on here so be gentle!

Fitted 9.5kw Jade II about 6 months ago. tested all fine. finally finished the bathroom just before christmas and started using it. all well for 2 months and now problems..

Flow rate reduced and also temp reduced. Ambient water pressure fine but not measured, low pressure indicator on shower not on (it was on once or twice pre use when testing).

There are 3 main heat settings - on max heat (considered std use setting) and approx 6 on the temp (out of a range of 10, not 11!) the water was a good hot, with reasonable flow rate. Now its luke warm and a average flow. Turn it up to 10, flow drops to a miserable flow and temp is about 15% cooler than normal No6.

What have i checked?
Inlet filter (2" long gauze tube fitted on back of bottom outlet plug) all clean (did have a couple of tiny copper bits in it).
Shower head - currently descaling in the kitchen although barely used.

I tried the head off my other mixer shower and its flow rate was a bit poor too - so that removes the possibility of the head being scaled up.

Case cover off, checked all terminations - all tight.

Naturally the warranty ran out on new years day! FFS!!!

Run out of ideas.... help please??

Sponsored Links
check your micro switchs are operating when you turn power to shower on if their isn't enough mains pressure to operate the micro switch the heating elements won't heat.

if micro switch operating test with a multi meter that you have power both sides of the tco.

then check continuity on both the heating elements.
then do a ohms test should be 12-18 ohms. on each set their are two sets on the 9.5kw.

check the stabilizer valve/flow control turnto fully cold then turn to fully hot flow should be slower on fully hot.

Cheers for your post Seco..

firstly an update - descaling the showerhead made no difference.
After reassembling it i tried the shower with no heat on (ie 0 on the 0-10 range), and on the third heat setting (ie 3 on blue, 1 red and then 2 red blobs) - there was a shed load of pressure. as i increased the 0-10 range setting it reduced massively and the temp only raised a little.

now, to your points:

>>check your micro switchs are operating when you turn power to on<<
sorry to be a numbty but which ones?

>>if micro switch operating test with a multi meter that you have power both sides of the tco. <<
TCO = Thermal cut out?

>>then check continuity on both the heating elements.
then do a ohms test should be 12-18 ohms. on each set their are two sets on the 9.5kw. <<
This refers to the points on top and bottom of the heater "can" i assume?

>>check the stabilizer valve/flow control turnto fully cold then turn to fully hot flow should be slower on fully hot.<<
This works - as proven earlier in this post (i think)..

thanks for your time,

did you resolve your problem with the Triton Jade II shower? I have the same issue!

Sponsored Links
now, to your points:

>>check your micro switchs are operating when you turn power to on<<
sorry to be a numbty but which ones?
the micro switchs are just below the power selector (top dial)
yes the 4 prongs on top of the heater can. ( do this with power off)

hi folks,

The issue was resolved after a conversation with Triton showers service desk. I couldn't work out what was wrong so went down the warranty and fair use route - however their approach and attitude was pretty poor - insisting on payment of £90 in ADVANCE to get a service engineer out to look at it.

The dude came (excellent chap btw), i explained my thoughts and he confirmed that one of the elements had failed. He later added that they had moved production of the heater canisters to China, and in the first batches the position of one of the elements is slightly too high (ie above the water level) and as a result burns out very quickly. He had a list of batch numbers to look out for and found this was one of them. He replaced it FOC, and sent a recommendation that the visit should be a warranty issue. Triton naturally disagreed and i had to write an extremely strong letter to get them to realise their failure and thus they credited my £90 - no apology just cash back.

sorry no techy solution, but i have a warm shower now... cheers

many thanks for posting that. it certainly makes sense as browsing the web it seems a VERY common problem with these Triton Jade II showers.

Problem is I'm just out of warranty and a new heatcan is around £50-£60 I think (the spares for Jade II seem to have disappeared from the showerdoc shop?!) - yet Homebase still sell these showers for £80, so it seems daft to not buy a brand new one.

if it was me i'd go down the same route as i did - most of the triton engineers know the problem..

you may have to fight a bit to get your callout fee back from them , but if you are persistant - they will give in.

now with hindsight in mind.... would you buy again....????

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back