Triton Jade - Leaking now stopped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd appreciate some help!

Our Jade shower started leaking a week or 2 ago (from within the unit). Probably wrongly, we carried on using it and then this morning I switched it on as normal and it stayed on for about 3 seconds and then cut off (no power light, nothing). It won't switch back on now.

The shower has it's own trip switch in the consumer unit downstairs but that hadn't been tripped.

I've read on here that these sort of units are repairable but not heard of one which has seemingly died after leaking.

Any advice as to how to / whether to repair or replace would be great.

Sponsored Links
it sounds like time to buy a new one, as they are relatively cheap it is rarely worth repairing them. the average life round here is 5-6 years.
try Homebase as they nearly always have a deal on with Triton.

Thanks for the reply.

If I need to replace one, a few more questions!

Does it matter which type I get (mine's a 9.5 kw) or will any electric shower do?

Can I do it myself (basic skilled DIYer)?

Many thanks

The shower would have stopped due to an electrical fault or safety device. It is possible to get the parts to fix it (microswitches, immersion tanks, cut-out buttons etc) but if it was leaking before it failed then you will save time and money getting a new one.

If you can get the same model, you will find it much easier to replace as the electrical and water inlets will be in the same place - as well as any sealant marks on the tiles.

Before you go ahead though - double check that the breaker hasn't failed in the up position. It does happen.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I also assumed it was a safety cut-out as it didn't trip the electrics in the house.

Problem is that Homebase etc. don't seem to stock the Jade any more so I don't think I'll be able to get it. Do I need a professional if it isn't the exact replacement model (i.e. will it be a nightmare for an amateur!)

Sorry to be dumb but how do I check "the breaker hasn't failed in the up position"?

Try some of the other breakers and feel how they 'engage' when you push them up. Then try the breaker in question and see if it feels any different. Better still, use a multimeter to prove that you are getting voltage at the shower or at the shower switch.

If you can't get exactly the same shower, try and get one which has similar dimensions. Most importantly, get one which has the same kW rating - certainly no more than your existing one. You may find the one you need at www.tritonshowers.co.uk.

Replacing the shower is not altering the electrical installation so you are ok to go ahead and change it. You must be able to prove that the circuit is dead before you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back