Trouble removing grub screws from UPVC door handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to replace some Euro cylinders on my French doors and am having some difficulty.

I can remove the old cylinder fine, but as I'm replacing them with Yale cylinders, you have to take off the door handles in order to insert the new cylinder from the external side.

I can remove the two main screws from the door handle, but I am having no luck at all with what I think is meant to be a grub screw in the handle. I don't know if it's worn inside or not? I've also tried to do the same with the handle on the other door with the same result.

I've uploaded some pics at https://imgur.com/a/EheZlK5

If anyone could give me some advice, I'd be very grateful!

Sponsored Links
Not sure you need to remove that, not very often the spindle is held in by the grub screw. It is possible they have just rusted solid into the handle, can't quite make out the make of handle though , to be sure. Are there any markings in the faceplate of the handle?

Sponsored Links
Its actually the logo for the maker of the handles.....'Hoppe' and from memory they don't use the grub screw method, as Ronnie suggests it likely to just have rusted/corroded together, the handles are ali and spindle steel - not a good mix

Thank you for explaining. What is the best solution for separating them? Would WD40 help at all, although I'm not even sure where I could squirt it in?

You could try prising them, or gently hitting the lever , near the backplate , with a rubber hammer. If that doesn't work you may need to cut the off....but..before doing that, with having the handle unscrewed from you door, does it give you enough movement to get the barrel in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back