Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a toilet hinge with no underside for screw hinge
It's just 2 holes at the end

I'm trying to replace the existing toilet seat
I've managed to unscrew loose but am struggling to completely take it out
It seems to have 'something' below that is hooking it

In the first instance I had to stick a thin screw drive in to stop whatever was below from turning around - before when trying to unscrew it would just go round and round!
Now, that doesn't seem to help any more

I'm scratching my head an not sure what to do

I took a pic to show the hinges, see below:

wL6Cpl.jpg

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to take out
I'm sure I must be missing a 'trick of the trade'

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
Try searching under the pan.
i was just about to say that this was't possible... it's *just* a hole and there is no accessble part below

i just went now and tried putting my hand at the back
there is a gap - it's in a super awkward place - i can't get my hand all the way in
i can't tell if there is a bottom part under the pan

any suggestions?

thanks

Some of these seats come with a special tool for fitting and removing, failing that oxy-cetalyn or a lump hammer. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Some of these seats come with a special tool for fitting and removing, failing that oxy-cetalyn or a lump hammer. :mrgreen:
oh... damn
it's a Villeroy and Boch - any ideas?

With the screws loose and the bracket able to move try to slide it in case the screw fits through the slot allowing the screw and retainer to drop out the back.
Alternatively raise the bracket with another screw driver and continue to unscrew the screw. The retaining nut underneath may need to fit into a recess under the pan but has dropped down too far and is just turning. By raising it up it may slip into the groove again.

With the screws loose and the bracket able to move try to slide it in case the screw fits through the slot allowing the screw and retainer to drop out the back.
Alternatively raise the bracket with another screw driver and continue to unscrew the screw. The retaining nut underneath may need to fit into a recess under the pan but has dropped down too far and is just turning. By raising it up it may slip into the groove again.
that's great advice
i'll give that a go
i've unscrewed enough so that i can lift up enough

but i assume i will still have a problem when trying to fit a new toilet seat? i will still have to access the back part?

Lets get the old one out of the way and take it from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzAIdk0mGtg
omg
thank u!!
i now see that i don't have to access the back area

the video was great and showed me everything
(i did think it was funny that a man was volunteered to do the fix and then a women bought in to do the clean demo. lol)

damn!!
i can't get the damn crew thing off
i looked at the video above, i'm just not sure how i can ever get out!
help :(

@diane, great idea
would cost a lot of money seeing how the current bathroom is setup
can u lend me some money - promise to pay u back
u r sooo nice diane!!

Sponsored Links
Back