trouble with landlord over oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys. i have a belling xou178.
yesterday when we was cooking dinner the power tripped and we had to flick the switch. we thought nothing of it but today i put the oven on but it wouldn't heat up (light and fan work still)
i phoned my landlords agency and they kept asking questions and said the clock needs to be set. after i said we never set the clock because we always turn it off at the mains, he quickly said thats probably how it broke because turning the oven off by the plug on the wall breaks it.
he then said i will have to pay call out charges and repair cost because it was my doing.
surely this isn't right!? why is the plug there then? is it possible its just a fault uncaused by me?

thankyou

Sponsored Links
It's true that many ovens do need the clock set to operate as they can default to timer, but as you have not had trouble before after turning off, it seems odd. Can you reset the clock? Is there any icon that might suggest it is on timed, a bell, hourglass, clock face?

My experience is with gas ovens but they still use the same type of clock and I have never found turning them off causes damage.

Sounds more like the element has blown and tripped the breaker, something your landlord should sort out.
Turning off a switch to an appliance when not in use sounds much more like you are looking after the property than vandalizing it! ;)

You should make it very clear!

When I say switch it off by the mains I mean after having switched off the oven/grill or hob at the dials.
NOT that you are literally switching it on and off at the mains with the oven/grill or hob dials/knobs switched on. That is likely to shorten lifetime of the cooker.

They are obviously trying it on so that you pay. Do not. Its their responsibility or depending on the agreement between landlord and agency could be landlords.

You should also remind them that you have upheld your responsibility as a tenant by reporting the fault of the fixture and fittings accordingly as you are bound by your letting agreement. Might be best to do it in writing/email so you have evidence of at least having informed them.
Check your agreement! General wear and tear.

Sponsored Links
I think I would be asking the agents how they achieved their abilities in the physic diagnosis of faults & their causes in electrical appliances.
Years of experience of repairing appliances would not allow anyone on here to make the conclusions they have, only possible options. Personally I agree with "footprints" that a much more likely explanation would be that the oven element has failed & tripped the rcd .
I would also suggest that any appliance that is damaged by the power supply being interrupted ( switched on or off) is not fit for purpose. What happens during power cuts etc., they are talking out of their proverbial a--e h--e.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back