Samsung oven blows electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Samsung BT621VDB dual cook oven which began playing up recently. Part way through cooking, we heard a 'popping' sound and saw a flash from within the oven and the electrics within the house tripped. We thought it may have been an issue with some foil touching an element as, once the electrics were turned back on, the oven worked again. We used the oven for a few days without issue until the same happened again. Once more, the oven came back on once the electric was restored.

A few days ago, the oven went off again but wouldn't come back on when the electric was turned back on. The socket that the oven plugs into works fine with another device and, if I plug the oven into a different socket, there is a 'pop' sound and the electrics blow again.

I've taken the oven out and removed the back panels to see if I can see any sign of scorching and the only thing that I can see as being a possible culprit is the part in the attached photograph.

Can anyone advise what this part is and if it is likely to be the cause?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 20170702_145607.jpg
    20170702_145607.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 248
Sponsored Links
Is that because there looks to be any damage to it?
The normal culprits are the heating element, it is possible for this to trip the electrics after they reach a certain temperature.
Does the oven trip, regardless of what element you are controlling?

The part shown in the picture what is to be found on the reverse side of it, within the oven? (fan???)

Thanks for the reply.

Doesn't look damaged but it had a fine black powder covering it which is the closest thing I can see to any sign of scorching, but it could just be from general use.

I know the oven used to trip when the top oven was used but I don't know if the same would have happened if only the bottom oven was used. However, the oven blows the electrics as soon as it is plugged in now.

The top fan is in the vicinity of the reverse of the part in the picture, although not directly.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The device in your pic. is a suppressor ( noise filter ) & I doubt it is the culprit. As PBD says the elements are favourite for causing tripping problems. The only other possibility I can think of that may give the symptoms you are describing is if someone is being over enthusiastic when cleaning (over wetting the inside or control panel) & not drying before use. If the fault is now on continually then disconnect & insulate the wires to the elements then one at a time reconnect them & see which one, if any, is causing the problem.

It's the rcd that blows.

Attachments

• 20170703_064240.jpg
    20170703_064240.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 172
Remove the back panel again.
Then whilst oven is isolated from supply, remove one by one, the leads to heating elements. Then re-energise the supply, every time one has been disconnected. Keep the lead ends safe, as they become live. Repeat this on all elements. Then see if the tripping stops. If it does not then try disconnecting the leads to the fan, using the same method. If at anytime the tripping stops, reconnect everything other that the last item disconnected when tripped. This should help eliminate the item causing the problem.

Also do check the plug and flex to the appliance for damage or loose connections.

Cheers PrenticeBoy. I'm off on my hols in a couple of days so I'll do as you suggest when I get back and update you on what I find.

Appreciate the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back