trouble with phone extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new here and hope you can help me. I have my modem router plugged into my master socket and it works fine. but when i plug it into my internal extension socket upstairs in the bedroom it does not work. I am using a filter with it. But if Iplug my phone into the master or the extension I get a dial tone?? why does the router not work in the extension???

Sponsored Links
You shoulnd't plug the modem in through a filter.

If the extension wiring is filtered at the master socket then there will be no broadband at the extension socket.

The filter removes the broadband to stop it interfering with the phones.

Thanks owaindiyer. How do I know if my internal extension already has a filter. I take it, it is done at the master socket. What do I look for? And if the extension is filtered, is there no possible way I can get my router plugged in up the stairs into the extension??? Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Some master socket front plates incorporate an ADSL filter, so broadband is only available at the deignated ADSL outlet on the front plate.
Replacing the front plate with an unfiltered version would make ADSL available at the extension socket, but the maximum speeds may be lower, and you would need seperate plug in filters for every telephone .

Some ADSL front plates allow the ADSL signal to be extended via a seperate cable, to connect to an ADSL modem / router only, seperate from the telephony.

Some extension wiring kits use poor quality cable that doesn't do much for ADSL signals.

'Plug-in' extension wiring needs to be plugged into the master socket before any filters if you want it to carry the ADSL signal as well as telephony.

Generally, the more telephones and devices connected to unfiltered cabling, even with their individual filters, the lower the maximum ADSL speed. take things too far, and it just doesn't work at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back