Troublesome wife!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
My other half has always wanted a kitchen with the cooker and a sink in a central "island".
How can i do this without water and waste pipes being visible......the floor is concrete.

Thanks.....maybe easier to get a new wife?

Sponsored Links
Disc cutters and jack hammers can be rented at a very reasonable rate and can be used on both concete floors and errant wives.

Seriously though you will have to channel out your floor to get all of your pipes and wires in.. Have fun!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. :D
How do i protect from corrosion....frost?
And my worry is channelling the floor for the waste pipe and not breaking through the damp proof membrane in order to get the drop to get the waste away.
thanks

You can take your hot/cold supplies thru cupboards, you might struggle with waste, why don`t you fit kitchen to fit waste arrangements? that`s what people with a brain normally do,

You can take your hot/cold supplies thru cupboards, you might struggle with waste, why don`t you fit kitchen to fit waste arrangements? that`s what people with a brain normally do,

How would you propose getting these pipes to the ISLAND without them being visible then? You can run them through cupboards all you like but at some point they're going to have to go into the floor.

OP wants an island, being mildly offensive and telling him to fit to current waste arrangements, which don't allow for an island, isn't very helpful.

Here's an alternative way of doing it nottsrob...you could construct your island with a central hollow studwork pillar rising to the ceiling. You could then run your pipework within the pillar. To remove waste, use a Sanivite http://www.saniflo.co.uk/SANIVITE.aspx This will pump waste upwards, and so will allow you to run it up into the ceiling void, where you could then run it between the joists to a suitable location outside, probably a stack. Check the manufacturers instructions to see if this will cater for your needs from an installation point of view.

Whilst the use of a macerator isn't a fantastic solution, as there is always the potential of breakdown and it won't work in a powercut, if you don't want to channel the floor it may be the best solution for you.

I think we need a few more details about your kitchen floor and the external drainage you hope to run the waste to, such as length of run and likely slope of the pipe. Water pipes are easy to run - use standard foam insulation around them, taped with insulation tape, ideally without any buried and thus inaccessible joints (plastic pipe such as Hep2O or copper using a pipe bender will sort this out.

I wouldn't worry too much about going through the dpm, since this can be fixed and taped and made watertight relatively easily. Quite often, services are laid below this anyway and brought up through it.

Nobody has mentioned the third option.

Run all the services above the concrete and then fit a raised floor about 50 mm above the concrete!

Thats the easy option! The cavity can be filled with insulation and the surface can be covered by some nice new tiles.

Tony

nottsrob184";p="1263476 said:
Hi.

How can i do this without water and waste pipes being visible......the floor is concrete.

quote] Concrete with a sand/cement screed :idea: . Have a dig in a hidden area, you`ll soon find how much is screed on the concrete. maybe 50mm plus.

Nobody has mentioned the third option.

Run all the services above the concrete and then fit a raised floor about 50 mm above the concrete!

Thats the easy option! The cavity can be filled with insulation and the surface can be covered by some nice new tiles.

Tony

All well and good, and a great idea in theory, but a 50mm cavity gives 10mm spare space for a waste pipe from a kitchen sink. Minimum fall is 18mm per metre on a horizontal run, so that means you have a maximum waste run under the floor of just over half a metre. I doubt that's going to be enough...

Nobody has mentioned the fourth option.

Run all the services above the concrete and then fit a raised floor about 100 mm above the concrete!

Thats the easy option! The cavity can be filled with insulation and the surface can be covered by some nice new tiles. ;)

Nobody has mentioned the fourth option.

Run all the services above the concrete and then fit a raised floor about 100 mm above the concrete!

Thats the easy option! The cavity can be filled with insulation and the surface can be covered by some nice new tiles. ;)

:LOL: We'll be building the floor up to the ceiling at this rate :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back