Trump's party an utter shambles

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
They're supposed to be electing a new Speaker. Have failed. Too many nutters in the House. So far, have had ten votes.

Worth a chuckle but this is actually serious.

"It should have been smooth sailing for McCarthy, the majority leader who needs 218 votes to take the Speaker’s gavel. Instead, 20 rebels have blocked his nomination, despite his many desperate attempts to appease them. They are mostly on the far right of the Republican party, which won a wafer-thin majority in November’s midterm elections, and many are aligned with Donald Trump (though not following the former president’s call to back McCarthy). At the time of writing, no viable alternative to McCarthy has emerged. The House is constitutionally required to elect a Speaker and cannot start the business of governing until then."

"That it has come to this should be no surprise, least of all to McCarthy; a consummate dealmaker who has made so many compromises to court the Freedom Caucus of his party and Trump that he is unrecognisable from the affable, moderate Republican that he started his political life as in California. Having actively courted anti-government members of what was the Tea Party a decade ago, it can hardly be a shock to McCarthy that those reactionaries now refuse to be governed. Nor that they make a mockery of the trade-offs necessary both to take office and also to govern. Neither is McCarthy the first Republican to suffer: just ask former Speakers John Boehner and Paul Ryan. This is the cautionary tale for centrists across the world of the dangers of aligning with extreme cabals that can then hold legislatures to ransom.

"If this is the chaos that ensues just to choose a Republican Speaker, what hope is there of a functioning legislature even if a Speaker is eventually chosen (and there is a way to go before even getting close to the record 133 ballots it took in 1855 to elect one)?"

FT.com

Sponsored Links
Right wingers imploding the world over. Right wing populism/extremism simply does not work.

Sponsored Links
:censored:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The contours of a deal that could make Republican leader Kevin McCarthy the House speaker have begun to emerge after three grueling days and 11 failed votes in a political spectacle unseen in a century.. It has left Republicans in disarray and exposed anew the fragility of American democracy.

At the core of the emerging deal is the reinstatement of a House rule that would allow a single lawmaker to make a motion to “vacate the chair,” essentially calling a vote to oust the speaker. McCarthy had resisted allowing it, because it had been held over the head of past Republican Speaker John Boehner, chasing him to early retirement.

Other wins for the holdouts include provisions in the proposed deal to expand the number of seats available on the House Rules Committee, to mandate 72 hours for bills to be posted before votes and to promise to try for a constitutional amendment that would impose federal limits on the number of terms a person could serve in the House and Senate.

One McCarthy critic, Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida, cast votes for Trump — a symbolic but pointed sign of the broad divisions over the Republican Party’s future. Then he went further, moving the day from protest toward the absurd in formally nominating the former president to be House speaker on the 11th ballot. Trump got one vote, from Gaetz, drawing laughter.

APnews.com

*The longest fight for the gavel started in late 1855 and dragged on for two months, with 133 ballots, during debates over slavery in the run-up to the Civil War.

Right wingers imploding the world over. Right wing populism/extremism simply does not work.

I really hope so, but we need to look at why they came to power. I don't know why. Looking back to the 1990s, after the Cold War ended, everything seemed so optimistic. I have one (very) vague theory, that during the Cold War the Western countries tried to keep things a bit more equal, to keep the lower orders happy. But since then they have been happy to let inequality rip. I know someone's going to blame immigration and I can see that might play a part in perceptions of unfairness.

I really hope so, but we need to look at why they came to power. I don't know why. Looking back to the 1990s, after the Cold War ended, everything seemed so optimistic. I have one (very) vague theory, that during the Cold War the Western countries tried to keep things a bit more equal, to keep the lower orders happy. But since then they have been happy to let inequality rip. I know someone's going to blame immigration and I can see that might play a part in perceptions of unfairness.
After the Fall of the Berlin Wall in November 1989 it only took 14 months for the Iraq War to begin and a new era of American Imperialism, so how optimistic were you about that?

Making it work is not the primary function though, is it?
And there is plenty of evidence that "it working" is not a necessity for electoral success.

Its prime purpose is to remain in power.
And milk the country from there.

After the Fall of the Berlin Wall in November 1989 it only took 14 months for the Iraq War to begin and a new era of American Imperialism, so how optimistic were you about that?

There have always been wars. I don't think most people saw what was coming. It was also very different to Gull War 2, which was initiated by America. Gulf War 1 wasn't about regime change. They specifically decided against it, even though it was popular with the public. I know several people opposed to Gulf War 2 who wanted regime change after Gulf War 1.

R-ingers have no imagination
..but they can't half tell some whoppers. When you consider the brazen dishonesty of Brexit and the fall of Boris and that other Chief Loser - orange idiot liar across the Atlantic, it's no wonder voters are sick to death of the brand.

, it's no wonder voters are sick to death of the brand

Snake oil salesmen have been around since there were idiots to sell to. Don't think, even if the lying fat f###s themselves are history, there won't be ones to follow, and be successful doing so.
Regrettably.

Exposed anew the fragility of American democracy.
What is the point of a vote if you are threatening people if they don't march in lockstep with corporate uniparty candidates?

Sounds like the "nutters" are the only ones that care about democracy

By Friday afternoon, McCarthy had lost a historic 13 ballots.

"McCarthy struck a bullish tone after making several rounds of concessions to his critics, including rule changes that would make it easier to call for a vote of no confidence in a future Speaker, and promises of plum committee assignments for members of the ultra-conservative House Freedom Caucus. Those efforts swayed more than half of the 20 Republicans who had opposed his speakership in previous rounds"

"The last time it took more than one round of voting to select a Speaker was 1923, when it took nine ballots. The House is constitutionally required to select a Speaker, and cannot move on to any legislative business until someone is handed the gavel.

The Republican infighting has exposed long-simmering tensions in a party that is grappling with how to move forward after a relatively disappointing performance in November’s midterm elections."

Sounds like the "nutters" are the only ones that care about democracy
You mean the Trumpist nutters and their historical attempts to end democracy culminating in the Jan 6th insurrection? The anti-democracy Trumpist nutters are still at it now.

Sponsored Links
Back