Trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Something to ask. I'm installing some 150x150 (always be 6x6 to me) Metal trunking over here and as labour is cheaper than parts, where can we say that now, we cut all our 90's and 45's.

I'm the old fashioned 4mm brass nut bolts washer and spring washer type but the guys here use 1l4" Stainless Rivets to fix the plates with.

Now apart from the fact that they rivet from the top into the chamber so the bulb of the rivet is inside I can't find a reason to condemn it.

We run a separate CPC inside the trunking so earthing is not a problem really and I will bond one end of the trunking at the DB with proper brass bolts, nuts and washer.

So apart from the vibration situation where the rivets could be shaken loose, which in honesty is unlikely would you ok it ?

I'm really not sure

Sponsored Links
Cheers Holms :D

Yes I always leave a solid section to bend into the enclosure but that was mostly to ensure good earth continuity. The guys here just cut the angles into 2 pieces and plate.

Have to admit I've always used Brass for earthing perhaps that is the old school of things cheers

buy them a spot welder.. :)

you can then have one guy turning lengths of trunking into bends ready to be used by the others.. :)

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: Coljack I shudder everytime they use a jigsaw never mind a welder.

I'd have guys wandering around blind with limbs missing. No an hacksaw and a rivet gun will do just fine for them.

Been trying to educate them with PPE so found a lad with lovely yellow hard hat on and a brand new flourescent yellow hiviz made my heart leap ..........................looked down and he had flip flops on just saw him walk away with me shaking my head looking for the supervisor!!!

When I was taught to cut 45's or 90's it was always out of a straight run og trunking, leaving the outer edge of the bend complete so it wouldnt matter if it were rivited or bolted, I wouldn't worry about rivit shaking loose, they build bridges with them so they must be pretty good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back