TRV issue..i think!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
got 1 rad in my house upstairs cold whilst all others are hot. What i have done so far is:-
Closed all the others off, rebooted system and the troubled rad still stays cold
Bled this rad along with all the others, still no change
Taken the the TRV off and checked the pin...seem to be moving freely
Used this TRV on a working radiatior and its fine.
Used another TRV on the faulty rad and issue still resides

Could my next step be replacing the radiator valve itself? If so can i do this without the hassle of draining the system (I have a Worcester Bosch condenser Greenstar 37cdi boiler approx 2 years old)

I dont mind having a go of this my self based on the last thief (rogue trader) i had in 2 years ago after a boiler breakdown trying to rip me off (thats another story)...i wont call him a plumber as i dont want to dis respect the proper tradesman who do plumbing for a living

Anyway, appreciate in advance any feedback you can give
Finally, living North of Birmingham (Walsall) any of you who post and work local in this area what kind of price would i be looking at if i got this done by an accredited plumber covering this area?
I work in London, thank god i dont live there based on the prices

Cheers all and Merry Christmas
Simon

//www.diynot.com/network/spr1967/albums/

Sponsored Links
The valve on the opposite end is open? If the pin is stuck down then swapping the head wont make any difference. Its also possible although the pin is moving, that the washer is stuck on the seating. Gentle tapping with a small hammer may be enough to shift the washer.

I wouldn't advise changing the valve without draining, you'll get wet..... If you do change it, you get what you pay for, the Terrier valves are cheap... Drayton or similar maybe better.

Yes, valve is open at the other end and just gave a few knocks with a small hammer and no change..all others red hot this one stoney cold still..damn

Thanks for your reply

From what you say it sounds like an airlock in the return. (The heating flow goes into the trv and the heating return out via the lockshield.)

Quickest way to try and clear this (although it's not a 100% certainty because it could be something else) is to turn all the trvs off the other radiators when the pump/central heating is on.

Another possibilty is the radiator itself is blocked. In which case you can remove the radiator to outside and flush it out with a hosepipe.

Hope this helps! good luck, re costing im in Essex so wouldnt have a clue up your end of the sticks.

Sponsored Links
I turned all TRVs off as youve stated in your reply already and left the problem rad fully open on the TRV with absolutely nothing, still cold.

Would the radiator require flushing through if its bleeding crystal clear water out when i did this earlier today?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back