TRV settings and oil usage?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, the cold nights have started and the heating has been put on for the first time this past few days :(

I live in an old bungalow with an old boiler and old radiators. Although all the radiators are working (after giving the valve a good knock :evil: ) the TRV doesn't work to well, the radiator is either off or on!

My question is, will I use more oil with the TRV's set to 5? I have replaced the rads as and when I renovate the rooms but I dont want to replace 3 rad's now just because they are either boiling hot or off altogether if I dont really have too :oops:

Sponsored Links
If you're running the rads at a higher temperature than you need, you are using more fuel(wasting it).

Sponsored Links
Surely it won't make much difference though?

I've just paid 54p a litre and wont be setting my TRV's higher than they need to be. Most rooms are either 2 or 3.

tony

But mine are stuck on either 5 or off, hence me wanting to know a rough guide as to whether it will cost a little or a lot more :eek:

the TRV doesn't work to well, the radiator is either off or on!

thats how they work. when up to temp its off. as room temp drops, valve opens gradually. as room temp rises, valve closes gradually.

do not take any notice of whether the rad is on or not. is the room at the temperature you require.

Take the heads off and work some WD40 into the pin and they will be as good as new. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back