TRV - Too Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 radiators in my lounge, (CH system fitted around 1988) with Honeywell TRV's. I have tried to turn the temperature down, even down to *frost protection* setting, but the rads are still too hot to touch, the room is still at 22 degrees. and rising. If I shut off the TRV to 0, this does shut off the rads, I have also removed the top cover and can push down the pin with my thumb.

I have experimented with the TRV by putting a couple of 5 pence coins to act as shims in between the cap and the pin to try to cool the rads down, but have not noticed any improvement

I don't have a room thermstat, my boiler is a Glo Worm FuelSaver 45F set on Warm / Hot. My boiler thermostat appears to work fine.

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Unless your lounge is below 6 degrees centigrade, it sounds like the TRV is knackered. If you can buy an identical make and model, you might get away with swapping just the 'head' (which can be done without any tools or draining down etc), as the room temperature sensing part is in the head, not the actual valve on the pipework part. That's assuming the pin on the valve does successfully shut off the flow when your old TRV is set to 'off'.

Unless your lounge is below 6 degrees centigrade, it sounds like the TRV is knackered. If you can buy an identical make and model, you might get away with swapping just the 'head' (which can be done without any tools or draining down etc), as the room temperature sensing part is in the head, not the actual valve on the pipework part. That's assuming the pin on the valve does successfully shut off the flow when your old TRV is set to 'off'.

Thanks for your reply, I will search for the head unit or old stock of this TRV, but don't hold out much hope. As all the TRV are 20 years old I imagine they will all fail soon, I will probably wait until the spring as I hope to replace the boiler under the scrappage scheme and get all the work done in one hit.

Thanks

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back