TRVs for an awkward old house

I dont think with the tempratures in Finland turning the heat off at night as in the UK is a good idea but a programmable stat with night set back would be, also fitting programmable trv's would be expensive & probably never pay back the outlay especially as the system is in iron, possibly lots of labour. Tony you ever been in Leningrad Fri evening when the Finns arrive for a weekend p*** up mental institution indeed!

Sponsored Links
95% of people in the UK turn off their heating overnight!

All that needs is a £30 timeclock.
1. 100% of the people in the UK have a much milder climate than we have. When was the last time you saw temperatures of -40C?

2. It takes more than a £30 timeclock to control the 3-phase supply to the GSHP.

3. No simple timeclock is going to allow the heating to come on if the temperature drops too much.

4. If I turn the heating off completely overnight the GSHP is likely to run its secondary heating when it came back on again, and that would be like using an emersion heater to heat the house. Not an option.

[/quote]Your fixed views include not doing what everyone else does to keep their heating bills within their budget.
My views include not doing what everyone in the UK does, because it isn't applicable to my situation.

Your savings will come from not heating at certain times.
Isn't that what I am trying to do with TRVs?

TRVs will not do anything new
Surely a programmable TRV will reduce the output from a individual radiator at certain times. That is new for me. I have no existing method of doing that without reducing heating to the whole house.

Not worth messing about with old c**p. Get the system upgraded
it will simply work much better.
My objective is to reduce heating costs. Is a new system going to work so much better that it could pay for itself in a reasonable time?

Your control system will have a one phase connection which can be controlled by a timeclock. You probably have a room stat already on that circuit.

A £30 timeclock can have a £12 room stat wired across it and set to say 8 C so that at night a minimum temperature is maintained.

We call that night time setback!

Tony

Sponsored Links
So you know my system better than I do? The only supply to the system is 3-phase. There is no separate single-phase supply to any control system. Anyway that doesn't help with running different rooms at different temperatures during the day.

At this point it may be instructive to look back at the specific questions I asked in my original post, and consider how many of them have been answered. Can anyone suggest a forum where people might be able to answer my questions?

You dont seem to understand how your system operates.

The compressor uses three phase but this will switched by a contactor powered by a single phase.

You dont seem to understand how three phase is used. It contains six single phases each with different characteristics.

What you are proposing is largely unworkable whereas what I have proposed is simple and the parts would cost about £42 and e easy to connect for anyone who can understand simple control systems.

Tony

What you are proposing is largely unworkable
Fine, but please explain why.

whereas what I have proposed is simple and the parts would cost about £42 and e easy to connect for anyone who can understand simple control systems.
But it wouldn't do what I want. I am currently sitting in my office, which is at a comfortable temperature. My bedroom is at the same temperature, but it doesn't need to be this warm at this time. How would your £42 suggestion allow me to have my bedroom maintained at a lower temperature than my office? How would it automatically reverse that, so the bedroom is warmer than the office in the evening?

If you want to regulate the heat dynamically ineach room I'd suggest you look at Honeywell's Hometronic, or the newer smaller Evohome.

Many heat pumps incorporate their own weather comp, although if it always cold in Finland (shamefully I don't know) it would limited effect.

I would be very weary of just adding anything to this install with out consulting a professional in finland...You say you have a thermostat, but probably it is a temperature sensor...the heat pump won't click in and out like a boiler in the UK...

There must be adjustments that can be made....but they may well be in other levels that you cannot see...

why not take a picture of the controller and the control panel where you make the adjustments...

How old is the GSHP and the controls?

whereas what I have proposed is simple and the parts would cost about £42 and e easy to connect for anyone who can understand simple control systems.

But it wouldn't do what I want. I am currently sitting in my office, which is at a comfortable temperature. My bedroom is at the same temperature, but it doesn't need to be this warm at this time. How would your £42 suggestion allow me to have my bedroom maintained at a lower temperature than my office? How would it automatically reverse that, so the bedroom is warmer than the office in the evening?

What I have suggested will not do what you want but it will save about 25% of your heating bill which I am sure IS something that you want!

What you want is probably not going to save a lot because you are starting from an assumption that you need your heating on to the full temp 24/7. It is also going to be very difficult and expensive to achieve.

I have suggested something simple and cheap which will save more that your pet requirement.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back