TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am having a new combi gas boiler installed which will feed 10 Rads.

Do Ihave to install TRVs on all rads (I know one should be left off in the room where the stat is).

But I live alone and as all bedroom rads are very rarely (if ever )used do I need to install TRVs in these to comply with Blg Regs

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for that hi-tech plumbing heating.

I didn't know that and I'me sure many others don't.

If poss I would also like your comment on number of TRVs.

thanks again tonydiy

The Central Heating Compliance Guide recommends TRVs in all rooms without a wall thermostat; so, yes, you should have TRVs in all rooms except the one with the thermostat.

But be wary of buying cheap TRVs from B&Q etc. Drayton TRV4 are probably the best and B&Q sell them!

Don't forget that, if you have some of the rooms at a much lower temperature than others, you will be loosing heat through the internal walls from the warm rooms to the cold. And, as the U-value (rate at which heat is lost) for internal walls, which are sometimes just plasterboard panels, is much higher than the U-value of external walls, the heat loss can be quite high.

If you do not use a room much, just turn the TRV down to say 1 or 2.

Systems with TRVs still need balancing and instructions can be found here

Sponsored Links
Hi D_Hailsham

Thank you for your very informative message
and I am sorry about my delay in replying to you.

I will now ask for TRVs to be fitted to all rads as you suggested.

The reason I queried the matter was that after receiving several quotations, some of them included TRVs throughout but others stated that I didn't need them on every one.

Consequently I wasn't sure which was the correct installation.

Thanks again

Tony

I will now ask for TRVs to be fitted to all rads as you suggested.

Just to clarify. Fit TRVs to all rads except where you have a room stat. If this happens to be in a room with two rads, put a TRV on the rad furthest from the room stat or the largest rad.

TRV's are just what you need in an unused room to keep the chill off, as they used to say. Otherwise you WILL get condensation in them. You see it a lot in Social-Security-provided heating systems, when only the "used" rooms have radiators fitted, to keep down the installation cost.
The result is smelly unusable rooms with the wallpaper falling off!

They only need cost a few pounds more than manual valves.

Hi D_Hailsham,

Thank you for the clarification.

I will remember this when the installer commences.

Cheers

Tony

Hi ChrisR

Thank you for your information.

Can you suggest an appropriate TRV setting to keep the chill off unused rooms.

Cheers

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back