TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of installing the pipework for a new combi fed CH system in my house.

From what I have read on here TRVs are advisable and a room stat in the coldest/slowest to heat up room. This I presume is still the case (or at least doesn't do any harm) when a new system is installed?

Also are all TRVs equal or are there some brands that are worth avoiding, i.e. what TRVs are recommended?

Sponsored Links
in my opinion you wont get better than Drayton TRV4s.

don't fit trv in room with r/stat.

Absolutely agree however they are expensive at about £18 each and I've had to go back to replace the heads on a number of occasions because the simply break off in which case it is just as cheap to buy and entire valve rather than the replacement head.

I always use Danfoss Ras C2s

sorry tonybhoy i cannot disagree with you more.

over the years i must of fitted thousands of Draytons in all their incarnations & i have never been called to a problem with one.

there is not a chance that the head will "simply break off". if mistreated (kicked) ive no doubt it will. but that is the case with all trvs.
i still have a replacement head that i came accross 10 years ago or more & have never had cause to use it.

now if we compare this with the reliability problems associated with Danfoss valves over the last 20 years there is absolutely no comparison.
you must know as well as i do that if a customer was to complain that a rad didn't work & was fitted with a Danfoss you would know what the problem was before you even put the phone down.

i realise that their latest versions have shown some improvement. but why do you need a valve that you can switch from flow to return by twisting it when you get it wrong. every other manufacturer mastered manufacturing bidirectional valves years before. their r & d is just not up to scratch.

Sponsored Links
I'll bow to your undoubted superior knowledge in this particular instance SPG however I have replaced every single Drayton TRV4 head on a boiler replacement job I did about five years ago (about 12 or so) which in every instance the valve head snapped off above the retaining ring.

Mibbies I was a bit heavy handed when I put the heads on initially,perhaps I over tightened them,who knows?

However agree with your general point re only getting what you pay for :)

Absolutely agree...
...I've had to go back to replace the heads on a number of occasions because the simply break off
I smell a rat here. How you could possibly agree that they're the best if the heads just "break off" without any known cause?

BTW, I've never ever seen the head break off a TRV4. Honeywells, yes. Giacominis, of course. TRV4s, no way.

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of installing the pipework for a new combi fed CH system in my house.

From what I have read on here TRVs are advisable and a room stat in the coldest/slowest to heat up room. This I presume is still the case (or at least doesn't do any harm) when a new system is installed?

Also are all TRVs equal or are there some brands that are worth avoiding, i.e. what TRVs are recommended?

All work like a tap, but with an integral sensor, apparently, to me they are a glorified lockshield, very rarely work.

Bamber.

of course it would be ideal if every rad had a zone valve & stat.
recommend it to bs.
it would give my spark something to think about.
id look forward to the maintenance work as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back