Trying Their Best To Finish Off Pubs

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So, what is your addiction, the booze?
It could be if I let it I suppose. Me Ma is an alcoholic so I chose to be teetotal through the weekdays, about 10 years ago. I drink modestly at weekends.

I used to smoke full fat Marlborough. When I decided to pack in, I did it mid way through a night out on a pub crawl. Not after (yet another) chesty cough or after having an illness, or a new year resolution. No, I thought if I'm serious about quitting I'll do it when I most need a smoke. I handed my ciggies and my lighter to my mate and said I'm not smoking again. I was 29.

Smoking is schitt.

What, a bit of steam and flavouring, not good for your lungs?

There has been evidence that it can still cause issues with the respiratory system, however much less than smoking and so the NHS advise it as a useful tool to stop smoking.

That said, in society people still look at e-cigs with disdain.

Noseall post above is proof of that

It could be if I let it I suppose. Me Ma is an alcoholic so I chose to be teetotal through the weekdays, about 10 years ago. I drink modestly at weekends.

Alcoholism tends to be hereditary, I don't know why. It's an insidious little disease, some people can have a few drinks or loads of drinks and stop but with alcoholism there's no switch off button, you just have to keep going.
I've always made a point of having 3 or 4 nights a week off the juice but since covid, I drink pretty much every night, not always to excess, but I recognise it's something I need to look at.
My first wife became an alcoholic (as was her father) and after 13 years of marriage I had to walk away, I lost everything. She stayed in our house for a couple of years mounting up debts that would make the Greek Government's eyes water and trashing the house in the process, eventually we divorced, unreasonable behaviour on my part apparently, it was during the property price crash so with all that went on all the equity had been wiped out.

I moved back in with me mum (that's interesting when you're nudging 40) and I just cracked on, wasn't interested in women, went down the pub a few nights a week, well, maybe seven but I only used to go out at 10 for the last hour.

I was working like a Polish plumber so after 18 months I scraped together a deposit for a flat and moved into that, mum died two weeks before I moved out, it still haunts me to this day that mum had gotten used to having company again and the thought of being alone again caused her demise.

Anyway, a month or so so later, completely out of the blue I bumped into the ex from hell, she asked me how 'mum' was and I told her she was dead. There were tears and somehow through that we started seeing each other again, she was going to AA and assured me she had given up drinking, one night round her place I had a sip of her 'lemonade' and it was neat ******* vodka. It hurt but having my own place I could walk away.

Bizarrely, she'd by this time spent some time in rehab, and had met some new friends, many of them well known celebrities, a few of whom I spoke to when they phoned and learned I was there having heard about me in the 'meetings', that's the great thing about addiction, there's no class barriers.

After several months, I'd made up my mind to walk away for a second time, I couldn't take all the false starts of 'I've given up drinking' to finding her unconscious on the floor in a pool of vomit.

Before I got the chance to walk away again, she looked me in the eye and said, 'dont ask me why, but I know, 100%, that I will never ever have another drink again'.

I didn't believe her at the time, but that was 29 years ago, we re-married 2 years after that, and apart from the occasional J2O, she's never drunk since. 29 years sober.(y)

I used to smoke full fat Marlborough. When I decided to pack in, I did it mid way through a night out on a pub crawl. Not after (yet another) chesty cough or after having an illness, or a new year resolution. No, I thought if I'm serious about quitting I'll do it when I most need a smoke. I handed my ciggies and my lighter to my mate and said I'm not smoking again. I was 29.

Smoking is schitt.

When I was diagnosed with angina at 50 (the old man had it at 30), I'd smoked Rothmans all me life before 'progressing' to Marlborough Reds, as old age and chestiness set on, I eventually worked me way down the scale to smoking 'Silk Cut', **** me I was concerned that blokes in pubs would see me smoking 'silk cut' and think I was gay. So, to avoid me becoming a 'man magnet' I started smoking 'Marlborough Lights'. When, for health reasons, it became apparent that I really had to stop smoking immediately. I went out in a blaze of glory with two packs of Marlborough reds.

Before I got the chance to walk away again, she looked me in the eye and said, 'dont ask me why, but I know, 100%, that I will never ever have another drink again'.

I didn't believe her at the time, but that was 29 years ago, we re-married 2 years after that, and apart from the occasional J2O, she's never drunk since. 29 years sober.(y)
Speechless.

Fair play to you (both) lad.

Alcoholism tends to be hereditary, I don't know why. It's an insidious little disease, some people can have a few drinks or loads of drinks and stop but with alcoholism there's no switch off button, you just have to keep going.
I've always made a point of having 3 or 4 nights a week off the juice but since covid, I drink pretty much every night, not always to excess, but I recognise it's something I need to look at.
My first wife became an alcoholic (as was her father) and after 13 years of marriage I had to walk away, I lost everything. She stayed in our house for a couple of years mounting up debts that would make the Greek Government's eyes water and trashing the house in the process, eventually we divorced, unreasonable behaviour on my part apparently, it was during the property price crash so with all that went on all the equity had been wiped out.

I moved back in with me mum (that's interesting when you're nudging 40) and I just cracked on, wasn't interested in women, went down the pub a few nights a week, well, maybe seven but I only used to go out at 10 for the last hour.

I was working like a Polish plumber so after 18 months I scraped together a deposit for a flat and moved into that, mum died two weeks before I moved out, it still haunts me to this day that mum had gotten used to having company again and the thought of being alone again caused her demise.

Anyway, a month or so so later, completely out of the blue I bumped into the ex from hell, she asked me how 'mum' was and I told her she was dead. There were tears and somehow through that we started seeing each other again, she was going to AA and assured me she had given up drinking, one night round her place I had a sip of her 'lemonade' and it was neat ******* vodka. It hurt but having my own place I could walk away.

Bizarrely, she'd by this time spent some time in rehab, and had met some new friends, many of them well known celebrities, a few of whom I spoke to when they phoned and learned I was there having heard about me in the 'meetings', that's the great thing about addiction, there's no class barriers.

After several months, I'd made up my mind to walk away for a second time, I couldn't take all the false starts of 'I've given up drinking' to finding her unconscious on the floor in a pool of vomit.

When I was diagnosed with angina at 50 (the old man had it at 30), I'd smoked Rothmans all me life before 'progressing' to Marlborough Reds, as old age and chestiness set on, I eventually worked me way down the scale to smoking 'Silk Cut', **** me I was concerned that blokes in pubs would see me smoking 'silk cut' and think I was gay. So, to avoid me becoming a 'man magnet' I started smoking 'Marlborough Lights'. When, for health reasons, it became apparent that I really had to stop smoking immediately. I went out in a blaze of glory with two packs of Marlborough reds.

How old are you?

Where are your kids in all of this?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/smoking-ban-outdoors-pubs-cafes-restaurants-councils-b938574.html

When will these fascists ever stop? As if pubs and restaurants haven't had it difficult enough, now they want to make sure the last few customers stop coming. What possible, legitimate reason can there be to stop people smoking outside? It's not about health, it's about control. Just like the scamdemic.

Smokers' freedoms today - but they'll be coming for your freedoms next. They won't stop, then they'll be trying to control or ban alcohol. Cars are already in their sights and travel is off limits. Any pleasures are theirs to ban. And the sheep will blindly vote for all of it. The sheep are the problem. They don't see the dangers. Will anyone wake up?

The public are played for the saps they have unfortunately become. A bigger concern is your private NHS medical data being available to all and sundry.

The more data they have on you, the easier it is to charge you more and provide you less.

The whole BLM movement and wokeism rubbish keeps people at each others throats whilst the Government gets a free reign to do what it pleases.

Alcoholism tends to be hereditary, I don't know why

Wow, you really went through the wars in your relationship....and came through the other side.
It's a hell of a lot to deal with, top man for coping and rebuilding your life.

Having an addict as a partner is most times a recipe to totally fork your life up.

How old are you?

Where are your kids in all of this?

65, never had kids, I didn't want a child growing up and seeing what I saw. One of my biggest regrets because as things turned out she would have been a wonderful mother.

Sponsored Links
Back