Trying to build a desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi as you can see my first post a new member to this forum.

The thing is I would like to attempt to build a desk for my office as it is an awkward shape the construction is not the problem but I would like some advice as to what is the best worktop surface to use.
It needs to be wide enough at least 70cm lengh doesn't matter as I will have breaks in the worktop as it will be quite long.
I have found that chipboad is sturdy but verrry ugly as a worktop and ply is too flexible even 3/4''
I am on a budget so don't need the best of the best.
Any suggestions please
Thanks DABOSS

Sponsored Links
For a desk I'm thinking about 1200 x 750d?

If you want to use anything thinner than 25mm, then you will need to make a bit of a frame underneath to support it.

You don't really want anything painted, so chipboard and MDF may be out. But you could do it in one of these and then either veneer it or fix some thin ply to the top and edges.

Thick ply may be expensive but blockboard may be cheaper. Melamine boards would be ideal, but generally too thin unless a local merchant stocks the thick stuff.

I "decorated" my desk - constructed of sheets of ply glued and screwed together - by gluing sheets of wrapping paper to the surface and then varnishing it with several coats. Looks good and is certainly different!

Sponsored Links
I used ordinary 16mm laminated chipboard from B&Q to build a computer desk into an awkwardly shaped corner. Admittedly I had to join two pieces together to form a width of 80cm (greater than your required 70cm), but the joint is scarcely noticeable because of the recess on which the screen sits. I wasn't able to attach a photo but have emailed to [email protected] as the help system says that they can attach it. (don't know quite how that works but still...!). The photo shows the awkward wall shape (five different faces) and how the framework underneath is constructed. Hope this is useful to you. It was certainly inexpensive.

Rustynails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back