trying to fit Trendi tv aerial socket - but unusual connection clasp and weird set up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I have bought a Trendi TV socket as we're changing over all the switches, plug sockets in the front room and thought it would look good to have a matching tv aerial one as well, but it has a very unusual configuration!

Firstly, i'm not an electrician but having put new TV sockets in our previous house I thought this time would be the same.........

Having taken the old one out I noticed there are 2 aerial leads wrapped together (see image) going into the old socket "should be fine says I, i'm sure the new one will have a similar setup".

And then I took the Trendi one out of its packaging and noticed it has the strangest set up (see images from different angles and with the "hood" pulled up & clipped down). there's no way i can get the 2 aerial cables into it!

The instructions that came with it relate to the light switch so they're no good and the Trendi website has zero info about it.

Ditching it isn't an option so wondering if anyone might know how I can get around having 2 aerial cables - is it possible to somehow link them before they have to go into the small
housing? I don't mean somewhere else in the house as they're buried in the walls, but ideally link/join them just before they go into the socket clasp.

I'm really at my wits end so any suggestions / help very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
full

Assuming both cables are still required, can you not fit both cores in the terminal and the clamp over the braiding?

Or have I misunderstood?

Could you not join to another piece of co-ax by putting the three cores in one end of a connector block and taping the three cables/braiding together.

Sponsored Links
thanks for responding, but the problem is the housing the core & brading go into. I managed to connect just one of them and got tv channels/freeview including HD channels but weirdly don't have BBC1 & 2 (SD). Also lost BBC digital radio channels and i listen to these so really want to get them back, so somehow need to get the 2 cores & brading connected - just don't see how a connector block will do it (it is late though and i tend to get pretty dense around this time!)

You should NEVER have more than one coax cable into an aerial socket. It is the sort of bodge done by electricians who should never be allowed near RF cabling. It is all to do with matching, reflections etc. If an aerial is feeding two TVs, there should be a proper splitter. If two aerials are feeding one TV there should be a frequency split diplexer.
Without knowing where the 2 cables go it is not possible to advise further. You need to call in the services of a CAI registered aerial installer not an electrician.

I would like to thank you both for the information you've given. In the end (after tracking what the other aerial lead led to) i've gone with just one and managed to get the tv to locate the missing channels (the other aerial cable was to a socket we never use in the spare bedroom so no loss).

i will be posting another question though(!) relating to the cooker switch that needs replacing - keep a look out :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back