Trying to hang a mirror and drill won’t go deep enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to hang a small lightweight mirror and the drill won’t go deep enough in the wall for me to put a plug in

it’s a solid wall and I’m using a 6mm masonry bit that the hanging kit requests , it’s a small lightweight mirror that needs 2 simple plugs

my drill needs to make a hole 35mm deep but seems to stop at about half
That depth , even though it looks the same as the rest of the wall it feels solid and is stopping the bit
15377DAF-3546-4135-9EF8-8260F47D3FBE.jpeg 0748526C-2E09-485D-B474-D7180060E66F.jpeg 6D7E33E4-7AC2-4838-BED8-F5B2D79F36B3.jpeg

What can I do?

Is my drill not powerful enough? Is my bit blunt? Or something else?

please no comments on how I missed my pencil guide, ‍:oops: I’m well aware .

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your problem is that your drill bit is not a masonry bit. It looks to be a wood bit. It will now be blunt. Try a proper masonry bit on hammer setting and you'll fine!

You’ve drilled through the soft plaster and hit the brick.

Get a masonry bit; if your drill doesn’t have a hammer setting it might still work with some persistence, but it might be easier to drill a smaller hole first (with a smaller masonry bit) and then enlarge to the final 6mm.

Before you go any further, check with a metal detector that you aren't about to drill through a hidden gas or water pipe!

Sponsored Links
Ok I’ll look into the metal detector, though I doubt there’s any hidden pipes in the solid brick, as there was a mirror there before and I’m replacing it

I went out and bought a 6mm masonry bit, 2 in fact as they’re not the most expensive of things , still wont go through. It hits the brick and then just stops spinning
25FA6E0C-C09D-4C91-A1CE-8BA4010BDBE9.jpeg
image.jpg

Is there perhaps a specific setting I should have my drill on ?

it’s a 12v cordless hammer/drill

I have the option of hammer/drill setting
And 1-13 plus ‘drill’

So no matter what setting I use , my drill
Just won’t go through the brick

do I need a stronger drill or a different bit?

You say in #5 that your drill stops spinning?
It needs to be set on the hammer setting and must rotate.
John :)

Post a picture so we can see the setting you’re using.
Are the batteries charged, if it’s cordless?
You could consider getting a thinner bit and then enlarging to the full size.

it’s a 12v cordless hammer/drill

I have the option of hammer/drill setting
And 1-13 plus ‘drill’

Too weak.

the numbers are for screwdriving. Set it to "drill" and to "hammer"

You could buy either a more powerful cordless drilled, or a corded (mains powered) drill which will be more power for less money.

You might need to borrow a SDS drill. I never understood the difference until I moved into a property build in the 50s. Prior to that I had only ever drilled holes into soft bricks. When I moved in to my current home I discovered that standard 7mm hammer drill bits would start to glow red and bend slightly.

After spending 7 minutes and only managing to go 1cm I decided to buy a SDS drill. It took 10 seconds to drill the hole to the required depth.

I paid about £120 for the drill but they are available for far less. You will however need a SDS drill bit though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back