Trying to improve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I tackle the next wall, I would like to ask some questions regarding:
1. Areas I found a little difficult.
2. One problem area.

Difficulty in getting a clean edge along where the ceiling & wall meet.
Any tips?

I think I was ok with 1st & second coats but at some stage either during the 2nd or in flattening I seemed to create not so much hollows but more like plaster had been torn from the wall as I passed over it (about a half mm deep) I never noticed this happening, but what causes that? It seems to occur after the skim has been laid. I also found them difficult to `fill in` and opted for filler after the event, which was a safer bet for me at this stage. (beginner)

Sponsored Links
When you skim you need to take it easy, don't rush and don't play around with it too much.

Apply your first coat (right hand method) starting from the top running from left to right leaving a line of skim a couple of float widths along the top. Then you start from the bottom left and strike the full hight of the wall right upto the top line until you have covered the whole wall. You can then start to flatten the wall starting with the edges. You need to remember to go back to the first part you started because this is where it's "going off" the quickest...
Run your float from the top left down in a clean arch, then from the left edge out and down in a slight arch. Then strike the wall from the bottom left top the arch of the top you have just flatterned and again this is with a slight arch. when you have flatterened the wall you can clean up your bucket ect and mix the final coat. Apply the final coat in the same manner then leave it for a while, have a cuppa or a cig if you smoke. Then go back to the wall to get it "under control" using the same method as before. The trick is not to play with it too much as it will draw the water too the top and it will become too wet.... Always keep some mix from the final coat and when you have the wall under control you can use this to flattern the wall off making good any imperfections. You should have a brush and splash bucket ready with clean water in it, clean water is important. When the wall is firm and under control you can chace the lines out using te same method as when you applied the first two coats splashing a little water on the wall to bring it up a touch. You should chase the line from the top left to the bottom right remembering to keep you water clean. At this point I wet my bruch and work the edges, the wall should be firmish when you do this.

hope this helps.

Your problem with "plaster being torn from the wall" is down to the angle of your trowel blade. If you hold the trowel too shallow/flat against the wall, it will "bottom out" and the plaster/cream on the underside of the trowel will "drag" up the wall, causing your problem. As you say, you're not aware of it happening, but you will know how to correct this as you get more experienced. Try to keep an eye on the angle of the trowel as you pass it over the wall/ceiling, whether you're trowelling up, or putting coats on, and especially at the top or the end of any long sweep, where the shallowest trowel angle is most likely to happen, although it depends on experience.

As regards to cleaning angles/ceiling/wall lines, (if wet to dry), i do agree with the brush. I use a small 1" fine bristle brush for this, rather than the big scrub, but i clean these lines after every coat, keeping the mess to a minimum as the plaster is put on, it makes cleaning the angles/lines simple at the end. I also brush with great care, because the last thing you want to see are brush marks along every angle, if any do show, remove them "carefully" with a clean trowel.
On wet to wet angles, if you can, use a twitcher.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies and the detail you have given me.

I think my next step will be to offer a couple of days labour free to a skimmer, I reckon I would then be home and dry. :) I think I am at the stage I just need to watch a pro now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back