Trying to move a radiator, but....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I've got a radiator in my hallway which I'd like to move to the opposite wall, but the way it's plumbed seems really unusual.

Other radiators I have have a main flow and return pipe, with a T-junction off both for the pipe to the radiator, but on this one the pipes both come off the same main flow pipe. I've attached a picture if it makes it any clearer. The red is the main flow pipe, and the green are the pipes which lead to the locksheild and thermo valve.

I don't see how water would be forced into the rad in the current configuration (but it does get hot, and it actually has the drain cock for the central heating on it).

Sponsored Links
Hi you have a one pipe system in your house it shouldnt be difficult to swap the radiator to the oppersite side just google one pipe central heating you will find loads of imformation and diagrammes hope this helps Paul.

Hi Paul, cheers for the reply.

It's weird, but in most other radiators in the house (ie, all the ones I've checked) there are two pipes. There is also a seperate flow and return pipe coming down from the boiler. Is it possible that this one is the only single pipe rad on the system?

Sponsored Links
If the rest is two pipe convert this rad to two pipe aswell.

Although I appreciate that's a better system, wouldn't it be possible just to keep this one on the single pipe (as it's the only rad which seems to be configured that way) and just run the new piping as below (excuse my crap paint skills :LOL: ) :

I think ripping up more floorboards just to bring the return pipe here is a lot of effort for fairly minimal gain. From what I've read (in the last half hour!), single pipe systems get worse and worse the more radiators you add to them, but seeing as this is just one rad, it should be ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back