Trying to understand cabin lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm dipping into the world of home automation, and starting with a small pilot in my garden cabin/office.

One of the first things I want to do is to automate the lighting, and to do this I have a small unit that is placed inside the light switch wall box (A "Fibaro Relay Switch 2x 1.5kW), which then talks and is controlled by a computer, wirelessly. This needs to connect to both lights L/N, both switches L/N, and the mains L/N (obviously, some of these are common - see attached diagram)
View media item 86332
Before I start I want to make sure I understand how the cabin is wired today. The cabin was built about 3 years ago and the lighting wiring was installed by a professional electrician.

Without taking everything apart to see exactly how it's wired, it goes something like:

1. There is a long armoured cable that goes from a MCB in the house consumer unit, to the cabin.
2. This armoured cable terminates behind the wall box for the light switches. It is a dual light switch (one for inside light, one for outside).
3. There is then one cable that goes from the switch box to the outside light.
4. There is then another cable that goes from the outside light to the inside light.
5. There are then 2 cables that go between the inside light and the light switches.

Probably easier to draw than to explain:
View media item 86331
I have had a look inside the switch box and, without taking everthing apart, removing boxing on the walls, and tracing all the wires back, it's very difficult to tell what goes where specifically.

So, from the attached diagram, can someone help me to understand how this lighting circuit works? It seems overly complicated to me (I would have thought that something much simpler could have been implemented, with just a single cable going from the switch box to the inside light, and another single cable going from the switch box to the outside light).

thanks
Derek

Sponsored Links
Yes it does look over complicated.

The main questions are :-

Are you sure the cable runs directly between the switch and the CU ?

Are there some blue wires connected together behind the switch ?

A pic of the switch wiring would be interesting

Yes it does look over complicated.

The main questions are :-

Are you sure the cable runs directly between the switch and the CU ?

Are there some blue wires connected together behind the switch ?

A pic of the switch wiring would be interesting

The cable from the CU goes to a small waterproof junction box in the garden, and then from there direct to the back of the light switch (there is a separate cable from the CU for the sockets).

Here's a picture of the wiring (not very easy to see).
View media item 86333Hopefully, you can see the incoming cable from the CU coming in from below, and just about see the 3 cables going out the top to the lights.

It looks like someone has wire the supply to the light inside

and then put in switch wires back to the switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

So, could this be simplified to something like:
View media item 86334
Which would mean 2 of the 4 cables to the lights would become redundant, leaving just one cable from the switches to the internal light, and one from the switches to the external.

What a mess! It looks like SWA cable entering that switch back box? If so, the armour has been removed and not earthed, so lets hope it is correctly glanded the other end.

What you have looks like this IMO.

1417786907.png

Yes, that looks like it.

So, overkill? Can I simplify it as shown above? (any reason why not??)

Thanks

You only need a cable into switch and then one cable to each light.

You can add your module easily though as it is, everything is there. Probably a bigger back box though if your module needs to sit inside.

You only need a cable into switch and then one cable to each light.

You can add your module easily though as it is, everything is there. Probably a bigger back box though if your module needs to sit inside.

That's what I thought - thanks!! Will definitely need a deeper box - especially if I leave it with all the excess wiring in. :)

Good advice above, so this is just a bit of a ramble while there is nothing on telly (while the wife has the remote).

Whoever wired it ran a permanent live around all the fixtures. Maybe when he ran the wires he didn't know if the outside light was going be a PIR type, or if the inside light was going to need a permanent live for a ceiling fan.

The incoming cable is 3 core and one is used as an earth/cpc. If it is SWA then the other end of it should have the outer armour connected properly.

The yellow through crimps look wrong to me. There are far better ways of connecting wires than shoving more than one into a hole designed for one conductor of a certain size.

Anyway, let us know how you get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back