Wiring switches in new lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was advised to use the following lighting wiring system by a qualified electrician but lost contact to get their advice to complete the job......

I have wired a new lighting circuit for lighting in two rooms in the cabin.

Using 1mm 3-core , the circuit starts from the cabin Consumer Unit into the 1st switch in Room 1, out of the 1st switch into the 2nd switch in Room 2. From each of these switches I have taken 1mm 3-core to the respective ceiling light fitting for switching.

So, for the Room 1 switch, there are 3 cables, feed in from Consumer Unit, feed out to the switch in Room 2 and switch cable to the light fitting in Room1.

In Room 2 there are two cables, feed in from the switch in Room 1 and switch cable to the light fitting in Room 2.

How do I connect these cables to the 1-gang switches in room 1 and 2?

Your help will be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
All earths together
All neutrals together in a choc block
Live in from CU and live out to next switch together in terminal C.
Live feed to lamp in terminal L1.

Take a look in the Wiki at the different ways of wiring lighting. You can get an understanding of basic circuits from that.

Then I'd seriously suggest you sit down with a large sheet of paper and a pencil and try to work it out - you will understand better then.

Then post your proposed wiring diagram here and someone will tell you if you've got it right.

Try it out with a battery and a couple of torch bulbs too, if you like.

Thankyou davelx for your quick reply.

I've wired it as advised and both switches working correctly.

It makes compelete sense logically, I understand now and agree drawing it out is the best way to do this.

In order to help others, what do you call this method of wiring a lighting circuit and I will change the Topic subject accordingly. I did look at the Wiki and those methods did not seem to match how I have done it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back