Trying to understand drainage under sons new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am trying to help my son who has drainage problems in his first home. It's an old 50's ex council house. I live too far away to know truly what's going on but we are trying to understand what the round pipe that feeds into the manhole is usually used for. Would anyone know where that could likely be coming from so we could see if its blocked please?

I

Attachments

• IMG-20230409-WA0000(1).jpg
    IMG-20230409-WA0000(1).jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
Could be a gully, would probably need a better photo or description. Is there anything in relation to it, such as a kitchen, or downspout?

Thanks CBW. I'll get more of a description together . He's going to try rodding everything tomorrow so I'll wait till he's done that. Thanks for taking an interest.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Looks rather clean for soil or waste water, and no staining as such on the benching. May pick up a rainwater gully or may just be a vent. If flow is going from bottom right to centre left of picture then chances are it's a vent, (I cant quite work that out from the photo.)

What problems are they having with the drainage?

What sort of drainage problems?
Thanks for taking an interest Loofah. There is terrible stench that comes and goes in downstairs front room. He's had floorboards up and nothing amis. An old guy lived and died in the property before and it is in a poor state. He's run hoses down all the manholes , flushed loo etc and all seems clear although he's found stones in one of the manholes - possible damage to an underground drain ? He's pretty skint and so trying to diagnose what's going wrong before engaging with dyno rod etc. Thanks for any advice

dyno rod etc. Thanks for any advice

AVOID like the plague. They're not called Dyno Rob without good reason. All franchises, so you're not only paying the people who come out to do the work, you're paying those up the chain too.

Find a Local Independent, get a fixed price before you start, and get all the runs CCTV surveyed, ask for a copy of the video (DVD) and report, if unsure on anything, come back and ask.

AVOID like the plague. They're not called Dyno Rob without good reason. All franchises, so you're not only paying the people who come out to do the work, you're paying those up the chain too.
Part of Centrica (who own British Gas) so may also sell something unnecessary, like a new drain run or something.

Interesting you say that . There was a very old dead one under there and a load of droppings when they moved in last year. They cleared it all out. Yesterday he rodded all the drains and are now clear of all the sludge in them. We are going to put a trap down under the floorboards to see if rats are still using the house as their hotel.

Put some of these under the floor around the edge:

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back