Trying to wire hive in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’m trying to wire a hive thermostat in , where would I connect it too I can see the old one connected on the right where it says RT BUS brown and Blu plus 2 little red loops . Do I just wire it there ? It’s a Glow worm Ultimate 30 with a glow worm thermostat already fitted which I want to replace I’ve followed the black cable from he old receiver to that blue and brown cable next to the 2 red loops . Many Thanks Darren

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1115.jpeg
    IMG_1115.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1118.jpeg
    IMG_1118.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1117.jpeg
    IMG_1117.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
There's a couple of things to note here...

Your existing thermostat connects to the boiler through the ebus terminals - it will allow the boiler to run slightly more efficiently and have better control of modulation.
The Hive thermostat may have some clever algorithms, but only has simple on/off control of the boiler - you may lose some efficiency moving to Hive, over a different ebus stat.

You appear to have an Ultimate 2?
To access the wiring connections, you have removed the front panel of the boiler - unfortunately, this forms part of the room sealing of the system; the boiler should be checked over for safety by an RGI, after this seal has been disturbed.

As for the wiring, what model of Hive do you have?
Assuming single channel Hive...

Screenshot_20240101-122854_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

You would remove the wire to the existing stat, from the ebus connector.
You would also remove the red bridging wire from the 24V=RT connector.

Then with a 3 core + earth flex, connect Brown to L
Blue to N
Black to RT
and Green/yellow to earth,
in this connector...

Screenshot_20240101-124147_Chrome.jpg

Then, on the Hive backplate...
Brown to L
Blue to N
Black to terminal 3
Green/yellow to earth
And add a short link wire between L and terminal 1.

I hope that makes sense!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ok thanks pal for the advice think I’ll just replace the existing thermostat like for like if I lose modulation as it’s my girlfriends. I have a hiv myself as my combi is an older one which didn’t modulate so I fitted a hive as liked the thought of controlling it from my phone . So if the Hiv is an off on only thing would that mean the boiler could burn out quicker as it would be full on or off as there wouldn’t be any modulation ?

Sponsored Links
It can just overshoot the temperature and use slightly more gas, not really to do with burning the burner out. If you don’t like the look of the Glowworm, have a look at Vaillant (same company, so controls should marry up).

Back