TT or TNCS

mst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to see a job today .The installation was what i thought to be TT however the 100ma and 30ma was nowhere to be seen. I guess it was wired early to mid 80s.

The TT electrode termination was a bit loose. What confused me a bit was where the cutout was (bearing in mind it wasnt your normal looking TNCS) cutout. there was a henly block with phase (line) :) and neutral in it and then a lenth of 16mm from the board going into that block. Im thinking maybe it joins to the neutral so someone was trying to make it TNCS????or TNS???? But i dont think it would have PME avaliable due to overhead wires coming in.

Wish i had my camera :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen this before?

Sponsored Links
PME can take on many looks, especially on retro installs.

A pic would have helped.

Often, rods get left in on board changes and PME upgrqades, not for any electrical reason really - just lazy.

Overhead services do not automatically mean TT.

Many PME's are overhead. you want to see my rural areas.

Older service drops where terminated with a henley fuse block and a standard henley block adjacent to it for the neutral. The PME earth is obviously taken from this block.

Ahh many thanks Lecky.

I advised a periodic , but maybe ill just do a ZE test for her tommrow and see what i come back with. hopefully it will be below .35. Never seen PME like it before.
Bit embarssing really :oops:

Thanks and happy new year to ya. ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes i know you do RF :LOL:

Ill be suprised if you havent got my holiday pictures in your collection! :D

I've come across TT systems where an earth has been dogged into the neutral.

Trouble is if there's no PME sticker at the cut-out or on any nearby poles* you have to assume it's TT surely...?

*poles in this context is not of the East European neighbour who's gate-crashed your party and has been sleeping on the settee for the last three months.

the only poles that get to sleep at my house while i still breathe, will be 6 ft under the shed in a plywood box..

Thanks folks.

Bas as you say, a phone call to western power will be made.
And i agree the TNCS without the PME just dosent mix.

have a good new year to all :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back