Tub or cement adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some ceramic tiles to stick up in the bathroom which are 260mm x 380mm and weigh about 1.5kg each.

The wall is masonry, some of it painted. I've done the gaffer tape test to check for the soundness of the painted bits.

Is there a tub adhesive with enough grab to cope with these tiles (without using batons) or should I go for a cement-based adhesive?

Sponsored Links
They'll slide down no-matter what you use.
B&Q do a cerafix trade tub adhesive that's ok for about a tenner. I use that and it's ok. I used to use Dunlop but I got a dodgy batch that was really dry.

Thanks gcol.

I used the cerafix yesterday and it was pretty good. But do you find that it doesn't go as far as it says on the tub?

I did about 5 sq m yesterday and used a whole tub which is suppose to cover 11 sq m!

Hello jimbocam :)

Personally Imho as a tiler , I would say stay well away from tub mud

It works out cheaper in the long run to use powdered cement tile mud ..

as gcol ( lol...lol..lol...lol..lol ;)

says you should use battens ,!!

nice to see you got the tape test ,even so I would of given it a scouring with course sand paper an a sugarsoap wash off ... :) :)

Sponsored Links
jimbocam said:
Thanks gcol.

I used the cerafix yesterday and it was pretty good. But do you find that it doesn't go as far as it says on the tub?

I did about 5 sq m yesterday and used a whole tub which is suppose to cover 11 sq m!
It never does. You've done well to get 5m out of a tub - you can't expect much more than that from any. You'll get identical coverage no-matter what pre-mix adhesive you use.
Glad you found it ok to use.

gcol
nice to see you agree with my advice that tub premix is not worth the money an fails .. :)

Moz said:
gcol
nice to see you agree with my advice that tub premix is not worth the money an fails .. :)
When did I agree with you? All I said was that it never does as much as it says it can do on the tub.
Both have their advantages, pre-mixed stays workable longer than powdered. So if you're doing a lot a fiddly cuts, the powdered stuff you mixed up earlier could go off and be useless.
I've never had pre-mixed fail once the tiles are stuck up but I do agree that powdered stuff gives a better bond.
I'd never use pre-mixed on floors though.

powdered mud /adhesive mix will stand but dont mix a bathful an expect that too ,lol

Pre mix tub mud is rubbish from the sheds ....bal do one thats excellent

floors, should always be powdered mix ,Bal single part flexible

moz dispels the myths again ...
Top Tip
an heres one that is the WORST going ,
that all surfaces being worked wether tiling /decorating on NEED PVA 'ing , they DONT ! ;)

btw
gcol
there was no need for the apology ....
lol..lol...lol...lol...lol ;)

Do a Google search for a tile company called Ctd. They sell a tub brand called Howtex Fermagrip for about £6 a 10kg tub. I use it all the time and I've put up 400x600 ceramic tiles. A word of warning though, use acrylic bonding agent, NOT pva on the walls.

I won't go into why not to use pva, but as a pro tiler, I now use acrylic bonding. It's the same price and CTD will supply it.

simonh1024

you are a joke ....

you spring from nowhere an are a TROLL.....attacking me.. why ? ...

unless , you are a sad pathetic creature who lost the joke before ..HMMM ...

you promote stuff from the sheds , but the rest is awful /......I stand by it

tub brand........xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFAILED TILES

"A word of warning though"

Im posting now ,

I really shut not .. sorry :(

Moz said:
simonh1024

you are a joke ....

you spring from nowhere an are a TROLL.....attacking me.. why ? ...

unless , you are a sad pathetic creature who lost the joke before ..HMMM ...

you promote stuff from the sheds , but the rest is awful /......I stand by it

tub brand........xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFAILED TILES

"A word of warning though"

Im posting now ,

I really shut not .. sorry :(

funny little fecker ain't you moz.

nothing wrong with tub gear, used it for years, not 1 problem, you sad little twit. :LOL:

In case it's of any interest, I use a pre-mixed Feb product called Wetmix.

The shed stuff is garbage, but I've tried the Nicholls and Clarke equivalent, which is good, but I came back to Wetmix. I've used hundreds (since I only tile part-time) of litres of it, and it's bleeding wonderful. Not cheap, but so what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back