Tuffdeck flat roof and a kitchen extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen is in a flat roof extension with a tuffdeck (fibre glass) roof.

I'm looking to fit an over-cooker extractor hood and have two options for venting:

1) Take a 2m internal duct to the nearest external wall.
2) Vent straight up through the ceiling, penetrating the tuffdeck.

Option 1 is going to look pretty crap as we have nowhere to hide the ducting, but option 2 feels like a bad idea as I don't like the principle of penetrating a perfectly sound flat roof.

Am I being paranoid or should I trust my instincts? Is it possible to get a watertight finish on an aperture up through tuffdeck?

Sponsored Links
We have fitted many a vertical lead slate and finished it with a mushroom cowl - but only in felt flat roofs.

You would need to hire a fibreglass fitter to fit it for you and success will depend upon his skill/care level.

Can the ducting not be boxed in?

Can the ducting not be boxed in?

Yes, but would require a 2m run which I don't think is going to look too good.

Thanks for your comments about getting someone to do the fibregalss work - I have e-mailed the installation company to see what they suggest, though I still have great reticence about making a hole in a perfectly good flat roof! ;)

Option 1 is going to look pretty crap as we have nowhere to hide the ducting, ?
I used some flat ducting - then to hide it I screwed 5 inch gyproc cove to the top of the units - back as far as poss. and painted it the colour of the wall - job`s a good`un ;)

Sponsored Links

Option 1 is going to look pretty crap as we have nowhere to hide the ducting, ?
I used some flat ducting - then to hide it I screwed 5 inch gyproc cove to the top of the units - back as far as poss. and painted it the colour of the wall - job`s a good`un ;)

Wish I had that option; the wall I would have to run the ducting along doesn't have any units on it and in all certainty never will, as the kitchen is quite old and finding some to match would be nigh on impossible,

Have you thought about making a feature out of the boxing in i.e. continue it across the remaining part of the ceiling to kind of disguise it?

Have you thought about making a feature out of the boxing in i.e. continue it across the remaining part of the ceiling to kind of disguise it?

That's an interesting idea and certainly worth further consideration.

I do not know how old your tuff deck roof is but I think they come with a 20 year guarantee if it is less than the 20 years old you will invalidate cover remaining.your option to keep the warranty intact contact them to fibreglass.

I do not know how old your tuff deck roof is but I think they come with a 20 year guarantee if it is less than the 20 years old you will invalidate cover remaining.your option to keep the warranty intact contact them to fibreglass.

It's about 10 yrs old; I've already sent them a mail asking their view. Will update this thread with their response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back