Tulipwood instead of MDF?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Been quoted same price for architraves, picture rail in either tulipwood or MDF.
My wife thinks that mouldings in MDF look a bit too shiny (!?) when painted, but do any of you have any experience of tulipwood and would you recommend it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tulipwood (American) = poplar (English).

Is often used for painted solid wood kitchen doors. Quite stable, fine grained if a bit woolly. Paints well, but you won't see much grain in it once painted

Hi

Been quoted same price for architraves, picture rail in either tulipwood or MDF.
My wife thinks that mouldings in MDF look a bit too shiny (!?) when painted, but do any of you have any experience of tulipwood and would you recommend it?

Thanks
The paint is shiny , doesn’t matter what’s under it.

The paint is shiny , doesn’t matter what’s under it.

sorry I was taking rubbish. It’s not the shininess of the paint it’s the “spongy” textured look of the mdf that she doesn’t like. So would the tulip be better?

Sponsored Links
Agreed - if you can see texture like that the MDF hasn't been adequately sealed before painting. We get miles of MDF skirting, all pre-primed and as smooth as a baby's bum. It paints out beautifully. MR-MDF is better where a complex moulding is machined and is well liked in the trade for how crisp a profile it gives you

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back