Tumble dryer choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new tumble dryer, but external venting isn’t possible so it’s going to be a condensing or heat pump machine.
Which is the type to go for - regarding drying time and energy consumption....any comments, anyone?
Thanks
John :)

Sponsored Links
Have had the condenser IQ3 Siemens model for almost 7 years, very good on auto drying all kinds of laundry, zero maintenance issues.

Good luck in your search.

Blup

Sponsored Links
And vented driers are cheapest to buy and dry fastest

Being very simple, they have hardly anything inside to go wrong.

Why is venting impossible?

It's not absolutely impossible but the vent won't look too good there. It would be better if the dryer outlets were standardised to prevent having to drill other holes when this one packs in!
John :)

all mine fit a 100mm hole

I put a cowl vent on the outside

you can paint them if you want

the flexi hose reaches from the new dryer to tho old hole

Heat pump units do the drying at a lower temp which helps protect the clothing.

Heat pump units do the drying at a lower temp which helps protect the clothing.

but as they are so slow they tumble for much longer, which wears out the fabric quicker.

I'm surprised your drier doesn't have a low temp setting for delicates.

but as they are so slow they tumble for much longer, which wears out the fabric quicker.

I'm surprised your drier doesn't have a low temp setting for delicates.

Right, good point in fairness.
My dryer has two elements. Thats as good as the "temp control" is really (either one or both elements running)

What is better, low heat, long cycle or high heat short cycle?

cotton and linen are OK on high heat. Towels would take hours at low temp.

some delicates and synthetics (incl woollen mix, synthetic mattress covers and womens items) need low

mine turns the power down to regulate the temp anyway, as the load dries out and absorbs less heat.

the dampness sensor is clever, and works on inlet/exhaust temp diff, not humidity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back