Tumble dryer has started to trip RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 6 year old Hotpoint TCD80 condensor TD has been performing extremely well (except for the mechanical noises mentioned), until last week when it tripped the 30amp RCCB or RCD once while running at the hot setting and then was perfectly OK for the rest of the time it was used.

A week later it was on about 15 minutes and tripped the RCD. After being restarted it tripped the RCD again within the space of 20 minutes.

I don't want to lay any red herrings, but recently it has been making groaning mechanical noises as though the motor was labouring or the belt was too tight or something of that nature

Not being used to RCDs I am not in a position to comment, but it seems to me to be quite sensitive. Having said that we have been in this house for 18 months and the tumble dryer causing it to trip has just started from last week!

I know this has been asked before, but I have read all the posts that I can find pertaining to this particular fault, and nothing seems to tie in with the symptoms I am experiencing, eg the heater is working perfectly. The machine when switched back on continues with and finishes its cycle and the clothes come out of the dryer as though nothing was wrong with it at all"

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back