Tumble Dryer, Neutral Melted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a Hotpoint CTD-00, tonight I noticed a strange 'hot plastic' smell in the utility room. Tracing it to the dryer, I noticed the plug to be quite warm. Owing to previous threads I have read here I reacted quickly and isolated the power to the dryer removing the plug to find it charred/melted :eek: , and the same with the extension lead it is plugged into. I have removed the plug for safety and dispossed of the extension as well.

Is it a bad connection that has caused this, in which case I could connect a new suitably rated plug, and monitor it just in case or could it be something else (I know its a kind of shot in the dark)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Could well be bad connection in dryer plug or extension lead. Dispose of these and fit new ones. It is preferable not to have an extension lead for such a high current item.

As a precaution, check the socket and its wiring is not affected by the build-up of heat.

If, as a last resort, you do need to use an extension lead make sure it is fully unwound to prevent the build up of heat and its rated high enough to carry the proposed current.

thanks for the replies, it is my parents dryer and i was never happy with the extension idea, but due to socket limitations it had to be used.

The extension cannot be wound up anyway and is located about 1m away from the dryer, with plenty of air movment as it is monted below a window sill.

I only just found out that the dryer developed a problem last week with the water resovoir overflowing and I did realise the pump was sounding rough, maybe these are linked. However, I will leave it to the repairman who is rebooked for Tue. since we were under 1.5 feet of snow last week :( :evil:

<edit> ; p.s. i have just disposed of the entire extension just to be safe :)

Sponsored Links
Melted plugs, sockets, terminal blocks etc are nearly always caused by bad connections. A bad connection can produce a lot of heat and will not blow a fuse or trip a RCD.

When you replace the plug and extention I reccommend making the extention yourself and using good quality parts. A lot of the cheap brand stuff isn't really fit for purpose. I would suggest duraplug plugs and extention sockets with 2.5mm flex and making the flex just the right length so it isn't coiled anywhere.

Why can't a socket be installed in the right place?

Or the appliance flex replaced with a longer one?

When you replace the plug and extention I reccommend making the extention yourself and using good quality parts.

I was thinking of doing that anyway since the flex on the existing extension only matched the size of the dryer's flex and got ever so slightly warm during use. I'd rather over rate the cable than under rate it :)

Another possibility was to spur of a socket at the other end of the room using a F.C.U. > Good quality mounted socket MK etc...

Would this need certified under any rules and regs. as I live in Scotland and i'm aware Part P. doesn't apply, is there another equivilant in Scotland?

Again thanks for the help.

andrew1210";p="1573618 said:
When you replace the plug and extention I reccommend making the extention yourself and using good quality parts.

I was thinking of doing that anyway since the flex on the existing extension only matched the size of the dryer's flex and got ever so slightly warm during use. I'd rather over rate the cable than under rate it :)

Another possibility was to spur of a socket at the other end of the room using a F.C.U. > Good quality mounted socket MK etc...

Would this need certified under any rules and regs. as I live in Scotland and i'm aware Part P. doesn't apply, is there another equivilant in Scotland?

Scotland and Northern Ireland

The laws in Scotland and Northern Ireland are different, and if you are affected by them then you should make the effort to find out for yourself what the legislation says.

Do not rely on other people's interpretation of it, particularly if they have vested interests, such as being electricians, or running a registration scheme, or being a local authority after a quiet life.

I say this not because I have any evidence that such people or organisations are misleading the public, but because I have seen exactly this happen with English electricians and organisations with respect to Part P.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back