plug burnt out on dryer extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope you can help, I'm new on here and found the site by googling for info on what to do with my dryer.
I've just gone to plug in my tumble dryer and noticed the plug had a hole burnt through it , undid the plug and the whole fuse and wire connected to that is burnt, completely carbonised.
The dryer is kept under the stairs and we have fed an extension cable through a wall to power it. I've had a read of some posts here and I know the best solution would be to power the dryer straight to a socket but my house isn't big enough for the dryer in the kitchen or elsewhere for that matter.
My husband is on nights and I would like some advice before he gets back as to the best solution, I've got an idea he'll try to fob me off with "I'll go and buy another extension lead" but the idea of an electrical fire scares the **** out of me and I'd rather I had some advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.
Is there a type of extension cable we could buy that would be safer?
The extension isn't used for anything else by the way.
Thanks
carol

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
no I mean how many cables are there coming into the socket from the rest of the installation.

Get a better quality lead, thicker the wire the better , and as short as possible to reach the thing,
Get the one with the least amount of sockets.
Only One if possible
Avoid cheapo ones
Get one with either a BS number on it or CE

The appliance is high load and the lead needs to be good.

For long term go for an extra socket fitted nearer the unit
If the fusebox is under the stairs it wont cost much , and you can get a twin, and stick things like modems and cordless phone units out of the way in there.

The problem is the wall socket may now also be damaged from the burnt plug , and if so will just nacker any plug used in it from now till the wall socket is replaced.

If you get a new lead check it does not get too hot with the dryer on

I'm guessing you're talking about the plug on the end of the drier or extension & not the supplying socket outlet? If so & no other problems have arisen from this, I would say that the problem could be caused by a loose live connection within the plug.

If so, remove the damaged plug, cut back the damaged flex to expose clean unoxidised copper & fit a new plug top.

The best solution would be to plug the drier in directly, without the use of an extension. If you must use an extension, it must be rated according to the load applied to it (in this case 15 amp).

Or what rocky said above! :LOL:

You do mean the plug on the EXT lead

Rather than the moulded plug on the dryer.

Would you know how to fit a plug on

yep, its the plug on the extension lead that burnt out, I've checked the plug on the dryer and the rest of the lead and it all looks fine.

and yes... I know how to fit a plug on!!!!!! lol ;)

you need to replace the socket as well as the plug and make sure you use a decent quality plug and socket. Cheap unbranded/brand you've never heared of stuff will fail with theese kinds of loads despite being supposedly rated to handle the current.

All the advice above good. I suggest open plug on new extension and see if it's well secured before using. I bought an extension from B&Q last year; seemed to work well, but when I touched it - it was hot. Further internal examination showed that one terminal on the plug had not been tapped for a screw to be fitted, so the assembler had just wound the wire through the hole. With any luck something similar had caused your original problem.
V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back