tuning in new tv

I

imamartian

We've just bought our eldest a new tv.
I have an aerial booster from the aerial socket downstairs to a cable upstairs, and this has been fine for old tv's in the past.

However, this tv is a digital thing and when you ask it to tune in, it searches and vaguely finds channels, but never 'locks on' to any.

Question:

Should this tv find the 4 terrestrial (analogue) channels?

does it need a didgital aerial?

How can i tell if i have a digital aerial?

If i use my main telly, this picks up on didgital:

BBC1
BBC2
BBC3
CBBC
BBC News
BBC red button

and analogue

BBC1
BBC2
ITV
CH4

Sponsored Links
You can get a difference in reception because the TV tuners are of lesser or greater sensitivity. Add to this that the TV signal to your daughters room runs via a tap off from a splitter/booster. That device will add some noise to the signal, as will the additional cable. This means more noise and less signal by the time it reaches your daughter's bedroom.

Do you need a digital compatible aerial.... the answer is yes/no/maybe

If you can get a decent amount of digital channels on the main TV then you probably don't. If, after retuning, you still can't get that many on the main TV then maybe it's time to get updated.

Ignoring the digital switchover for a second, aerials themselves don't last forever. That goes the same for the cable too. They both corrode because of weather and UV exposure.

Cable quality has also improved leaps and bounds. The old and hardly-shielded brown TV coax is only sold by builders merchants and DIY stores now - which is why a builder should never be trusted to put up an aerial or run TV cables in a house. Those of us who know what we are doing use something significantly better and we also know that bending it too sharply blocks certain frequencies.

Test your daughter's TV downstairs connected to the main aerial point.

If you'd like some decent quality extension cable then drop me a line. :)

Hello imamartian,

If you are having trouble i can come and look at this for you or i can give you a call, just PM me.
I live in mansfield, hopefully its not that far from you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back