Turbo max pro28e VUW 282/2-3R2 ignition flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , would be great if anyone can help
Boiler fires up in CH mode, pressure is 1.2bar cold, runs for a few mins, then ignition light flashes indicating lack of water or water circulation problem although pressure is fine on gauge.
Pump head has been changed and pump seems to be fine. Boiler may start again after a few mins, run for another few mins , then makes a clunking sound and stops again with same light flashing.
Pressure gauge never drops below 1.2 bar
Resetting the boiler sometimes gets it running again but same thing happens, but sometimes resetting it goes straight back to same error
This is the R2 2003 model without the water pressure switch which the R3 has.
Thanks for any replies

Sponsored Links
From what I can see in the instructions assuming they are the correct ones, the flame lockout means a number of things, not just water. Do you have gas on elsewhere? Is if getting to spark sequence? Might need a gsr engineer.

Diverter valve jammed on hot water (assuming hot water is ok?)

Thanks for your replies

(1) it’s not the flame light flashing or on lockout. it’s the ignition light (eggtimer) flashing. Yes the boiler lights up (flame detected) as shown by flame light staying on and runs fine for a few mins.

(2)hot water mode has same issue as heating mode runs hot water for a few mins then same ignition light flashes so don’t think it’s diverter stuck in hot water mode

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the pump is running and has been vented properly ?

Damn, I think it’s time for spec savers, the second bit missed already :LOL:. Right lack of water or poor circulation, have you accidentally left one or both flow and return valves under the boiler off? Checked the pump for water? Is it turning?

Yes, pump is running, can feel it vibrating and getting hot, flow and return pipes under boiler heating up too. Have vented by undoing pump screw and it lets out a spurt of air and water, done that several times until only water dribbles out, air vent is built onto pump housing body too and that is loosened as well.

Good question but flow and return valves are definitely on, happens in heating mode too.

Thanks for your replies so far

When the pump head was changed, did the pressures gauge move then? I’ve had a few block up on the end of them, so it looks like there’s pressure, when in fact there’s is none.

Yes , when boiler was drained to replace pump head , pressure gauge dropped to zero and on refilling needle goes up.

Have also tried changing pump speed, can feel pump is working as vibrates less on low speed and more on high speed. Normal selection is high speed , fault still occurs

Not sure if I have correct install manual as don’t have paper copy, online I’ve only found Vuw 282/2-3 R3 , 2004 onwards
And Vuw 282/2E manuals. Although I doubt the manual will be much different from those online and VUW282/2-3 R2 seems closer to the VUW 282/2E

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back