turbomax 828e problem with hot water - please advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a vaillant turboMAX 828e

Never had consistent temp water from shower/taps but recently got worse, water now gets up to temp then goes cool, then rises and continues this loop during use.

The last 5 stored fault codes are:
1 - F.24
2 - F.22
3 - F.29
4 - F.22
5 - F.22

When opening a hot water tap the boiler display shows the following:

S.30 - Green light on
S.13 - Green light flashes
S.13 - Yellow light illuminates, green light flashes
S.14 - Yellow light illuminates, green light flashes
S.10 - Yellow light off, green light flashes

during this time if i press "i" the temp is rising fast to 95 degrees then dropping back to 70, then rising again to 95... the loop continues

CH is fine and this seems to happen weather or not heating is on.

I had noticed the pressure guage was low (below 1bar) so have topped up the boiler to 1.5 now but this didnt help.

From the research i've done (don't really know anything about boilers other than what google has taught me in the last week) it seems to indicate the plate heater exchanger could be clogged up.

Can anyone verify?

Is this a part a boiler engineer would usually try and dismantale and clean before replacing.

Ive been quoted about £250 + vat for a new one by one company i contacted via checkatrade- seems a bit high to me? They also didn't confirm if it was worth cleaning it first.

I think the part number is 65131, googling that or '828e plate heater exchanger' returns many for around £100 or less, some around £60

Money is tight and im causious of getting someone to look at it who's going to take the most expensive approach to repair

Can anyone recommend a good honest vaillant service engineer in southampton, hampshire area, or suggest what anything i could try myself or expect to pay?

Would a fixed cost service resolve this sort of problem?

The boiler was installed in 2004/5 i beleive, we moved to the property this year.

Many thanks for reading all this and any help :)

Sponsored Links
I will clean plate HEs and replace them for about £158 inc in our service area.

You could try Kevinthegas who posts on this forum. He is reasonably charged. Dont know his attitude towards cleaning plates though.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back