Turbomax Diverter problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks, got me diverter working a good while ago thanks to help from this forum, so when it decided to show similar symptoms again the other day I basically purchased a full kit and went ahead with the referb...

trouble is it didn't work this time :(.

So I decided to try and work out how this diverter works exactly (I mean how water pressure operates the diaphragm (it seems to be completely counter-intuative when you look at where the mains water comes in and then out to join the heat exchanger!!!)...., in the hope of trying to work out why the valve wasn't doing its thing with all new parts - anyway, without moving off topic too much I noticed a small valve in the lower part of the diaphram housing, and on pulling this out realised that not only was there a piece of porcelain (recent work in street no doubt arrhhh!) stuck in the gate but some of the plastic guides had snapped too!!!! Not only that but there is a small pressure equalisation channel that goes past the diaphragm and that had some porcelain stuck in there too! I am guessing this setup works a bit like a torbex valve...? Has anyone ever tried to work these things out???
So, I have cleaned up and got rid of porcelain, just need to know if I can get hold of this little sprung valve mechanism now, as it is not part of the full kit see..
I can take piccy if it helps..?

Any help appreciated... Thanks,

Olly.

Sponsored Links
ok I decided to remove the remaining plastic guides from the valve, as I feel the central metal pin is enough on its own, I think the outer plastic bits are to aid in assembly more than to keep the valve central... Anyway, after clearing the foreign debris my boiler is working again :) Looks like I didn't need the diaphram kit after all but I guess £30 for a working boiler isn't bad...

A warning about the replacement o rings, they not all the correct sizes so expect to reuse or source replacements..

Hope someone might find this useful for future reference!

The o rings r the right sizes mate u just have to make sure u use the right packing rings in the right holes, large at the top of the valve small in the water section, if ur on about the the white cage under the 17 mm nut in the bottom of the water section, this is essential, change the bottom 013517 that will sort it

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean about cage? I had no probs with the fiber washers but there are some silver o-rings that didn't fit well, some where a smidgen larger than the originals... All the orings were too big in diameter for the pipe that comes out of the top of the diverter, where it terminates into back to the feed / return for heating (sorry not sure which way the water flows at this point!).

Do you recognise the little valve I am referring to right at the bottom of the diverter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back