TURFING ADVICE NEEDED !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently booked a contractor to get rid of the concrete in my garden, and then lay down some turf. Specifically said get rid of all the concrete and then lay the turf.

Found out days later the reason my soil remained soaked 24/7 was because he removed some concrete, but the majority of it was still there underneath. Kept walking and sinking into the soil which was drenched a and realised he simply layed at best a 2cm layer of soil over the concrete, leaving me with drainage problems.

Can anyone tell me what my options are in rectifying the issue ? Yes I'm waiting to hear from the contractor who surprisingly hasn't called me back but in the meantime would like to take charge before the grass dies off completely.

Attachments

• 20190530_093605.jpg
    20190530_093605.jpg
    850.6 KB · Views: 407
Sponsored Links
How did you pay the contractor?
Did you specify that all the concrete was to be removed and disposed of?
Do you have any record of the contract - text/email?
Where did you find the contractor?

The reality is that, with such a thin layer of soil over concrete, the grass will not be able to grow properly. Attempting to keep it alive is probably a waste of time and effort.

Hi yes paid him in full and yes specified verbally that all concrete had to go before laying the turf. His company was listed in a local flier that came through my door. Seemed legit as he had a lot of positive reviews.

At the moment the grass is growing, but I suspext will rot with all the water logged soil.

I would be surprised that anyone who's done a job like that in the first place is likely to come back to rectify it and if you don't have a landline number to contact them, have gone to the next town.
Have you anywhere to lay the turf out to keep keep it watered for a short time while the concrete is broken and removed otherwise you'll lose it ?

Sponsored Links
Hi yes paid him in full and yes specified verbally that all concrete had to go before laying the turf. His company was listed in a local flier that came through my door. Seemed legit as he had a lot of positive reviews.

At the moment the grass is growing, but I suspext will rot with all the water logged soil.
Sadly, reviews mean nothing these days.

And even more sadly, I don't think your lawn can be saved, not in the long term. Needs to be done properly from the start. You've my sympathy that you were ripped off.

I have a small garden so I could possibly pile up the turf on a heap one side and keep watering it. I've had someone who told me to drill holes through the concrete, that way water can drain through. Can anyone recommend that or have experienxe doing that and worked ?

Am afraid you're clutching at straws. The grass won't be getting water and nutrients it needs to become well established and strong/healthy. Also, the effort you will make watering it every day in the summer and feeding it regularly will probably be greater than just sorting it out once and for all.

Up to you though of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back