Turfing and broken bricks to promote drainage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of landscaping my garden 46ft(w) x 30ft(l). It used to get quite boggy/muddy/heavy soil down the end of the garden and I have just brought in approx. 4 tonnes of broken bricks/tiles/etc to try and provide some drainage. What material/level should I use next as I have approx. 8-10 inches to play with before reaching the top level of the railway sleepers which border the boundary of the garden on which I intend laying turf.

Should I use top soil now, further gravel, sand or combination of all or none?

please help.

Johnny Cainnee

Sponsored Links
I really woudn't put rubble under the garden if I were you. If you have a problem with high water table you could put a trench round the boundary and fill with rubble as a french drain, but you'll have to find somewhere for the water to go.

If your lawn is heavy, you can put 6" of coarse sand and grit down, and turf over that, but it will dry off in summer.

If the soil is badly compacted you could think about having to ploughed or moled to open it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back