turning my front garden into a parking space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps new to these forums.
Just a quick question really not long moved intoo my new house, and as your all prob aware new houses (10years) have very small gardening areas.

I would like to change the front of my garden into a car parking space. Its big enough for a car to fit on, Aand so feel it is not big enough to keep as a garden as there is 6mtrs by 5mtrs and the grass is pretty much ruined in any case.

i was planning on pulling up the grass and filling it with gold stone then have some small wooden pillers with a chain running through to segregate my half from my neighbours then maybe a few slabs leading from my original tarmaced drive to the front door.

My questios are
1) how deep would i have to go when digging and filling with stone?
2) what colour stone would be best to use so that it does not go green due to mold?
3) would i ned planing permission do create this.
4)and finaly question where can i by some cheap small wooden bollards with chains ( height probablly up to knees over ground )

would be great to see your feed back

Sponsored Links
3) would i ned planing permission do create this.

The access across the footpath / pavement will need to be discussed with the council. Lowering the kerb and ensuring the pavement will not be damaged by the passage of cars across it.

It also goes some way to ensure that a lamp post, street sign, bus stop or other obstruction is never placed in front of your house to block your vehicular access.

Sponsored Links
bernardgreen said:
The access across the footpath / pavement will need to be discussed with the council

I had thought of saying something like that, untill i read this bit

dastley said:
.......leading from my original tarmaced drive to the front door.

I was distracted by Jonothan Ross on the radio.

I just recalled the case of front garden converted to parking area without consultation with the council. Within weeks of the work being completed the council put a sign post slap bang in the middle of the drive way. They didn't manage to trap a car but they made the point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back