Turning off electricity for lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question about removing a light fitting when decorating a ceiling. The light fitting is a basic one with only one bulb so its easy enough to remove.

My question is about turning off the electricity. On the consumer unit, there are 2 switches for Lights. By turning off the 2 switches for Lights, is it safe to remove the light fitting or does anything else need to be switched off such as ring, etc..?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, do you need to remove it, or just lower it a little ? And how many cables and terminals are in it ? If in doubt - post a photo.
In principle just turning off the MCB or RCBO for the appropriate circuit should do - but you really want a) a means of locking it off so no-one can turn it back on, and b) a means of testing that the circuit is actually dead before you go fiddling.
Depending on how things are wired, you may have to correctly connect up the wires in order to have other lights work - and in any case, you choudl never turn the power back on without having adequately protected the bare wires.

Firstly, do you need to remove it, or just lower it a little ? And how many cables and terminals are in it ? If in doubt - post a photo.
In principle just turning off the MCB or RCBO for the appropriate circuit should do - but you really want a) a means of locking it off so no-one can turn it back on, and b) a means of testing that the circuit is actually dead before you go fiddling.
Depending on how things are wired, you may have to correctly connect up the wires in order to have other lights work - and in any case, you choudl never turn the power back on without having adequately protected the bare wires.

I need to remove it, but only temporarily while I put the wallpaper up.

I fitted the light fitting myself years ago. I think it has only 2 cables in it.

Does it require a diagnostics tool to test if the circuit is dead?

Last edited:
Although Turning off the lighting Mcb does isolate the light, you may find that when working on the wires it could trip an Additional Rcd if you have one, causing other unrelated circuits to go off temporary

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back