Two lights one on one off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I have two outside lights that come into the inside switch with one cable. Following some decoration work where I think the light switch plate was removed to decorate I now have an issue with the lights.

With the light switched on - one outside light is on and the other off, if I switch the light off the other light comes on and the one that was on turns off.

I have checked the wires and all seem in place and as before. Does anyone have any idea how this could be resolved?

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Turn off the power at the fusebox/consumer unit, open up the switch and show us some pictures of the wires.

Check the photo you took before you took the switch off with what you have now.

Sponsored Links
2A8343CD-4E0A-40B0-AD58-3EA278133C33.jpeg
BDF39C97-4E02-48C6-AA3A-489290051CB0.jpeg
19E607D8-6B2D-4C92-B29B-68281E99F044.jpeg
Hi here are the photos as requested, one set of wires is for the outside lights and one for the inside lights (they are working correctly). Thanks

Is there another switch that also does the outside lights?

Hi

This switch does the outside lights and the inside light, I’m not aware of another switch, and it was working prior to the decorating.

Thanks

I’m not aware of another switch

OK. In which case, if this jogs your memory, were the blue and yellow wires actually in the same terminal/hole together? (only for the outside light switch, not the inside one)

Sorry I can’t remember as I didn’t do the decorating, when I unscrewed the face plate the blue wire was loose so possibly, but unsure

Put the blue in with the yellow. Turn the power back on and see if it works correctly now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back