turning off the mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a flat above an empty shop with another shop to the rear of my property accessed through a close adjacent to my own, there is a suspected leak or blockage in this property which they continue to ignore and every now and again it causes a flood in another shop next door to the one below me...the shop called out a plumber who simply turned off the mains supply and left. now i have no water in my flat, this has happened before and i discovered that the shop to the rear has an internal stop valve which means there is no need for it to be closed off at the mains, is it legal for someone to turn off my water without informing me? what are the repercussions if i have it turned back on?

Sponsored Links
If the plumber turned off the mains from the street, then this is not legal since it is the property of the water supplier, who should therefore be contacted. In the meantime, you need to find out who owns the vacant shop so that access can be gained to turn off their stopcock. If you, er, arrange for the water supply to be reconnected, then the leak will once again clearly become an issue.

thats the problem,the mains supply lies 3" inside the door of my close therefore scottish water says its my property, the vacant shop is not the one with the stopcock its the shop to the rear of my property which is entered through an adjacent close to my own. no one in the shop knows where to find the stopcock. the last time this happened it turned out to be a blocked drain (which should be scottish waters property as it is on the main street) it was blocked by hand towels and feminine products from the shop at the rear (its a gym).

Sponsored Links
If the plumber turned off the mains from the street, then this is not legal since it is the property of the water supplier

total rubbish.

I was under the impression that the mains pipework outside the property boundary belonged to the water supplier and was therefore their responsibility. Hence, if it became damaged when anyone turned it off, then that person is therefore liable to pay for it's repair. So why is this rubbish? :confused:

it is their property if outside your boundary.
but perfecly legal to be turned off in an emergency etc.

they tell you on the phone if your plumber has a key then turn it off/on yourself.

it is their property if outside your boundary.
but perfecly legal to be turned off in an emergency etc.

they tell you on the phone if your plumber has a key then turn it off/on yourself.

In which case the plumber is acting with authority from the supplier.

as much as i enjoy arguements could you please tell me whether or not it is legal to turn off the water supply to a household without informing the owner? my wife was home at the time and all they had to do was buzz the door and let her know what was happening but they simply turned it off and left. i now have no water to wash with or brush my teeth or put my washing machine on....

you don't need to phone them everytime you want to shut one.

i just saying example i've had people phone the water board before i've got their saying they can't close the stopcock cause they can't reach it.
then i've turned up and said i have the key for it.

and the water board will say pointless us coming out then.

but you don't need permission when you want to close one.
or use a fire hydrant etc.

in your situation did the plumber know you was on the same stopcock ?
if i have that happen i always knock and inform the people who are affected.

Let the shop that gets damaged deal with the health club - there's no need for you to be inconvenienced. It is normal practice to advise householders prior to shutting off the supply if possible, to enable alternative provisions to be made (eg buckets and pans of water).

you don't need to phone them everytime you want to shut one.

i just saying example i've had people phone the water board before i've got their saying they can't close the stopcock cause they can't reach it.
then i've turned up and said i have the key for it.

and the water board will say pointless us coming out then.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info. Now, what about the op's problem?

the plumber was informed by my neighbour that he cant shut off the valve as it serves different properties, he said he wasnt turning it off then went ahead and did it anyway. i have phoned several plumbers and no one wants to come out because it is a shared mains and they dont think they will get paid or they think it would be too big a job for them.

Can you not open the covering plate and turn it on yourself? Have a look and advise us what you find.

we need a permit from the water board to open and use a hydrant! (Scottish water).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back