Turning off the radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

So my upstairs radiators used to always get hot even when the central heating was turned off.

We called a plumber who said this was the case as we have a very old boiler / system.

His solution was to turn all the upstairs radiators off at the valves and then turn them back on in the winter.

This worked and the upstairs radiators no longer turn on by themselves. I guess they can't as it not possible for water to enter anymore.

He said if we wanted a longer term solution we will need a new boiler system (current system has a hot water tank in the loft)

However now the downstairs radiators are getting hot instead! Something that never used to happen before.

I guess the hot water that's flowing through the pipes used to get washed through upstairs before however as those are shut it now flows through the downstairs?

Not ideal!

I am thinking now that I should turn off the downstairs radiators as well so water doesn't get into them either.

Two questions:

1) should I turn both valves off on each radiator? The right and the left sides?

2) will turning the downstairs radiators off (in addition to the upstairs - so the entire system is shut off) cause any other issues? I'm worried that if the hot water can't flow through the radiators (as it's doing now) where else will it go?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The hot water should be pumped only through the coil within the cylinder if the central heating is off but the hot water is on if you have a typical indirect system. Thats how the hot water gets heated. If it's going elsewhere could be a motorised valve issue?
Also in your airing cupboard/near the boiler there may be gate valves that you can shut accordingly to prevent it taking the central heating route . That's if you have the kind of system that I'm assuming you have

You might not need a new boiler system but some alterations to the pipework/wiring may be needed. What boiler/system have you got?

1) should I turn both valves off on each radiator? The right and the left sides?

Thanks!

No. Only the one with the knob on it. Don't touch the other which will need a spanner. If you do you will need the system re balanced.

Sponsored Links
your plumber is great isn't he :rolleyes:o_O , all you've probably done is unbalanced the system now . what valves have you got 2 or 3 port valves probably in your airing cupboard ? maybe start looking somewhere else to sort the problem (y) . new boiler jeez:sneaky:

Op: some photos/description of the components you have in your airing cupboard would be the first things we need to assist you.

1 or 2 rectangular boxes sitting on pipe work with electrical leads going to them; a red or blue round metal object also with electrical lead and mounted on pipes... that really is in simple terms for you :)

Hi guys

I have taken a few pictures of my boiler.

Hopefully I am looking in the right place!?

IMG_9237.JPG

IMG_9238.JPG

IMG_9334.JPG

IMG_9335.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back