Turning the Mains Water Inlet off on Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a small leak on the pipework to the hot water tap in the bathroom. Unfortunately the leak is happening before the isolation valve, and a plumber can't get here till next Monday to repair it.

I was wondering is it possible for me to turn the mains water inlet off to the Worcester Greenstar 30Si boiler and also turning the boiler off, thereby still giving me access to the cold water only, or do I have to turn it off at the main stopc*ck?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd leave boiler inlet valves well alone.....they always seem to bloody leak afterwards :eek: Can you cope with the dribble until the plumber gets there?
John :)

Personally I'd leave boiler inlet valves well alone.....they always seem to bloody leak afterwards :eek: Can you cope with the dribble until the plumber gets there?

Thanks John. Unfortunately I noticed the ceiling in the room below the bathroom is dripping with water, which is what led me to check the plumbing under the bath.
There is an isolation valve on the mains water inlet pipe.

Its the inlet valves on the actual boiler itself that tend to dislike me.....if its another type then all should be well.
Sounds like its a fair old leak!

Sponsored Links
In that case I would turn off the boiler cold inlet valve and turn on a hot tap to drain the pipe. If the valve were to leak then the plumber could deal with it.

You can leave the boiler on and still use heating if you need it.

It will may the plumber's job easier if you were able to safely take up the floorboards to expose the leak!

But leaks through ceilings can be some way from the pipe leak.

Thanks John and Agile for the help and advice. There is an isolation value on the pipe leading to the main inlet valve. It was either turning that off or at the main stopc*ck until the plumber gets here. I didn't want to leave the house only to return to find I have an indoor water feature from the ceiling and swimming pool in the kitchen. lol
The pipe needing the repair is easily accessible without the need of removing any floorboards. The leak is coming from where the pipe meets the isolation valve to the bath taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back