Tv aerial playing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just moved in, always just one of those aerials that just sit on top of tv or window seel but cant pick up any signal with that.

New house has aerial on roof with cable running down side of house and indoors.

Ive had to add a 5m extention to reach but the signal is hit and miss.
It improves or worsens when i wiggle the lead by socket on tv? Could it be faulty cable or do i need something else.

The extension was £3.20 from Amazon its a gold one if that makes any difference

Sponsored Links
Ive just moved in, always just one of those aerials that just sit on top of tv or window seel but cant pick up any signal with that.

New house has aerial on roof with cable running down side of house and indoors.

Ive had to add a 5m extention to reach but the signal is hit and miss.
It improves or worsens when i wiggle the lead by socket on tv? Could it be faulty cable or do i need something else.

The extension was £3.20 from Amazon its a gold one if that makes any difference

That aerial cable with its moulded-on plugs is crap. They're a thin coax, poorly shielded against interference, and relatively high resistance compared to decent coax cable such as WF100/TX100/CT100.

You could also have some loose connection in the aerial plug from the house aerial.

20180712_071200.jpg 20180712_071156.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys this is what i have, so ill try one of the cables listed above and one thats comes apart

Sponsored Links
Go to a TV aerial suppliers and get a proper lead, not Amazon basics crap. Check the wall socket is properly wired up.

Having trouble finding one near me, tried the usual currys etc but all moulded ones

Go online. Buy a length of WF100 or TX100 or CT100. DO NOT buy RG6*. Most RG6* is cheap rubbish. You want 100% solid copper centre core with shielding made from copper foil + copper braid, so buy one of the three specific '100' products listed above.

Next, buy some aerial plugs. Get brass body construction if you can, but if not the ordinary aluminium widely available will do.

Coax plugs come in male and female versions. The type that fits in to the aerial socket on the TV is a MALE. The type that you might use to attach on an extension to an existing lead is a FEMALE.

If you can't find a female plug easily then by two males and a back-to-back 'joiner' adapter. This will be the same arrangement as your gold plated lead.

Finish off by watching a few tutorials on YouTube about how to fit aerial plugs. None get it 100% correct, but most are good enough to do the job.

The final result will be a cable that will last decades and stand up to all but the worst domestic interference.

* RG6 is really a designation for the dimensions of a coax cable rather than a type or brand. However, idiot sellers have latched on to it and are using it as a common name for what might have been termed "low loss" coax in the past. That term became synonymous for 'crap coax' just as RG6 is in danger of doing today.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys, my mrs went to homebase and picked up something.

Then i reas this thead and noticed its the rg60 stuff so asked her to return it ans ordered the bits separately from ebay!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back